Thread: Trying to find small brass nails w rounded heads for Japanese and Korean tansu chests

Trying to find small brass nails w rounded heads for Japanese and Korean tansu chests

I didn't know which forum to post this in, so administrators, please move to a more appropriate forum as you see fit.

They are both missing nails. The Japanese one, which is about 100 years old, a LOT of nails: which has caused decorative trim to come loose and become bent. (Or lost altogether. In my “spare time” I hope to cut out some new brass trim and replace it. It will never look like the original, but at least it will cover the glaring areas of absence).

I’ve found short ones, but they need some length to get a grip on the wood. Ideally, I’d like them about an inch long. Heads about 3 mm.

Photo is of the Korean chest. The Japanese chest has slightly smaller nail heads.

If someone can tell me where to look, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

korean chest 20200916_185558.jpgKorean chest nails closeup 20201007_135755.jpg

Grant
    Ottawa ON

McMaster Carr... They have round head brass nails

Idea for the chest themselves. Put a bit of glue on a toothpick and tap them into the nail hole. Cut the balance off with a sharp chisel or razor blade. It the brads are real tiny, pare the toothpicks down. You can then use the short brads.
    You can do that for hinges and screws of all sizes, just use an appropriate sized filler wood. Chopsticks are great. You can even used disposable ones it you're really cheap. Like me. I just wash them and let them dry. They come with plate lunches. FREE!

6. Might want to try calling Hidatool in Berkely which sells the japanese hardware that goes on these cabinets. They may have a source for authentic nails for this use.