Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serpentine chest of drawers

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Mark, Absolutely fabulous work. What was your source for the pulls? They suit the piece very well.
    Thanks Chris! I got the pulls from Ball and Ball reproductions in Pennsylvania. They are a good company.

chest.jpg

Gorgeous! Well done!

Incidentally, my wife grew up in Exton Pa, less than 2 miles from Ball and Ball.
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 10-25-2020 at 8:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Gorgeous! Well done!

Incidentally, my wife grew up in Exton Pa, less than 2 miles from Ball and Ball.
    Thanks Ron! The people at Ball and Ball are always friendly and helpful. Chester county is a nice area.

I’ve stared at your photo for quite a while again, and must say the carved detail work really sets this piece apart. I can only imagine how fun that was with figured wood. I’m sure (like all your projects), it’s hard to walk by without a pause to admire. So, what’s next on the list?!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I’ve stared at your photo for quite a while again...
    I also have come back to this photo several times over the last few weeks to admire the talent it takes to pull off a project like this.

Mark, have you considered submitting this to Fine Woodworking Gallery? I think you deserve some recognition for your work.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I’ve stared at your photo for quite a while again, and must say the carved detail work really sets this piece apart. I can only imagine how fun that was with figured wood. I’m sure (like all your projects), it’s hard to walk by without a pause to admire. So, what’s next on the list?!
    Thanks for the positive feedback Phil, I always wanted to do curved molding by hand, and I had a nice piece of figured wood for the base molding. I am working on Michael Fortune's Garden Chair from Fine Woodworking. My plastic adirondack chairs start to crack after 2 or 3 seasons, and I ended up on my back staring at the sky while on the phone with my brother this past spring - the back of the chair snapped in two. I was just shaken up, but it motivated me to build something of quality. The bent laminations are quite an adventure.

bent lamination clamps.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I also have come back to this photo several times over the last few weeks to admire the talent it takes to pull off a project like this.

Mark, have you considered submitting this to Fine Woodworking Gallery? I think you deserve some recognition for your work.
    Brian, thanks for the compliments; it makes the hours of carving, scraping, veneering, and hand work worthwhile.

Have not tried bent lamination, yet. I don’t think I can quite top your clamp job, but here is where i was trying to bend some cherry molding. Yes, it took a trip to HD...I think I cleaned them out.

62A11C79-92D4-4A95-BAF0-C53C40DDB256.jpg

Have not tried bent lamination, yet. I don’t think I can quite top your clamp job, but here is where i was trying to bend some cherry molding. Yes, it took a trip to HD...I think I cleaned them out.

62A11C79-92D4-4A95-BAF0-C53C40DDB256.jpg
    I think we are close to 50 clamps together !

You can never have too many clamps! LOL