Thread: Lunch hour

Lunch hour

Driving in to work this morning, I was mulling over the idea of doing some woodworking on my lunch hour. I find it difficult to get anything done at home as there's always things to be attended to and I like spending time with my wife in the evenings. That leaves morning to get my stuff done and I made the mistake of putting my shop under the 2 bedrooms so I have to be quiet. It dawned on me that I could get all my sharpening done at least. There's a bench in the warehouse I could clamp small stuff to like the plane I'm working on and start mortising it. I'm not sure what that would sound like in the rest of the building. There's a drill press and grinder and a small metal lathe and a metal vise at my disposal as well. With that said, I just need to put together a small kit of tools that will fit in a computer bag and get started. Maybe get some leather to cover the jaws of the vise.

Next year I plan to make a small place for hand tool work only outside in a shed or the small garage space I have. The previous owners turned the back 3/4s into a bedroom and left a small space in the front. It's plenty big enough for a morning work shop. I just need a shed for the mowers and things. An outdoor bench would be nice too. I like working outside when the weather allows.

3 1/4 years to retirement, I'll be 70 and hoping to still be in good enough shape to enjoy woodworking. Until then, see the above.

Blog Entries
    3 1/4 years to retirement, I'll be 70 and hoping to still be in good enough shape to enjoy woodworking.
    My original plan was to work in to my 70s. After a few years of getting tired of workplace politics and lunacy my retirement started at 57-1/2.

My body still has enough energy for woodworking at 70. One does need to be careful when moving larger things. What really wears me out is taking care of the yard work. Just have to remember to take a break in the shade before getting too tired.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I hate yard work, especially in the hot summer sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Come to Tucson, just an occasional blowing the dust off the rocks

ken

[QUOTE=ken hatch;3061071]Come to Tucson, just an occasional blowing the dust off the rocks

ken[/QUOTE

Shoveling sand after a storm is heavier work than shoveling snow and 8ft. of tumbleweeds aren’t much fun either.😎

Just gotta find a place in the lee I've never shoveled sand after a storm, don't got no tumbleweeds here either. I do, however, have a ton of mesquite, acacia, and palo verde I have to trim. Oh and creosote, I can't forget that stuff.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

An outdoor bench would be nice too. I like working outside when the weather allows.
    I like that idea too Richard. When I break down long boards with handsaws, I take them outside and use my saw horses. Outdoors feels good. A bench would be nice also - no shortage of natural light. The bench would need roof overhead or be portable enough to take in in case of rain/snow.

Yard work us why God invented 13 year old boys.

I enjoy watching the “unplugged woodworking” YouTube guy. Works outside. Very basic bench and tools, with great results. I’d like to be able to do more woodworking outside.

I think a viseless bench would be the thing until I can afford a wooden screw leg vise. I have a pile of 50 year old 2x6 pressure treated from an old deck I might use for one of those English style benches, I can't remember what they're called but zero laminations.

To your original question....

I've been WFH since the pandemic started. Around April, I started going out to my shop during the lunch hour. It took a while, but I've gotten pretty good at making the hour productive.

I think of projects in smaller pieces. And I make a list. So, yesterday's list was
    - Glue mitered box
    - Cut new sacrificial fence for router table out of hardboard.
    - Drill pilot holes for sacrificial fence
    - Install sacrificial fence
    - Install hinges on spacer for moxon vise

It might seem silly, but I get a sense of accomplishment knocking off a couple things each hour. And it helps me focus on the most important things.

I use longer periods of time (weekends) to prep material for the upcoming week.

Richard, Have you considered whittling? You could very easily carve a spatula during lunch breaks. Super fast and easy set up and break down. You could get some meaningful woodworking in with just 8 minutes before the bell.

That's an interesting idea and it gave me an idea. Carving might also be doable. Thanks.

Now you've done it. I have a whole new hobby.

20201018_100843.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    To your original question....

I've been WFH since the pandemic started. Around April, I started going out to my shop during the lunch hour. It took a while, but I've gotten pretty good at making the hour productive.

I think of projects in smaller pieces. And I make a list. So, yesterday's list was
    - Glue mitered box
    - Cut new sacrificial fence for router table out of hardboard.
    - Drill pilot holes for sacrificial fence
    - Install sacrificial fence
    - Install hinges on spacer for moxon vise

It might seem silly, but I get a sense of accomplishment knocking off a couple things each hour. And it helps me focus on the most important things.

I use longer periods of time (weekends) to prep material for the upcoming week.
    This is a good idea Cliff. Thanks!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”