Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinding Cast Iron

Grinding Cast Iron

Finally ready to start making a riving knife for my old saw. Forrest 10" blade with 1/8" kerf. RK blade will be 0.109" thick and sickle-shaped, with leading edge 3/16" behind saw blade. Clearance from the saw blade to this motor mount casting limits width/depth of the RK blade to 1 1/8". I would feel better with more steel behind my saw blade to prevent pinching, so I'm thinking of grinding a 1/4" wide x 1/4" deep notch in the casting right where the blue tape is. That would enable clearance for a 1 3/8" RK; 22% bigger.

IMG_3520.jpg

The highest point where the blue tape is, makes about a 120º angle, with the motor mount, barely visible to the right. Minimum thickness of the casting seems to be about 1/4" or a bit more. The back of the high point of the casting is curved in what feels like maybe a 1 1/4" arc (can't see it). About equidistant from the center (blue tape) and the motor bolts (one is barely visible), on the back side, are a pair of 1/4" thick webs, about 2 1/2" deep at the center, spanning edge to edge of the inside angle of the casting.

My intuitive sense is that such a notch would not materially affect the strength of the casting.

What do you guys think?

I do not see any tape of any color. 1+inch seems plenty big to me. A steel adjustable square ruler is 3/4 to one inch wide. As I understand the geometry there is no real twisting force on the RK. It just keeps the wood parallel to the blade so it can not grab and get twisted by the motor. I would do it as is and make a bigger RK and the groove if needed later.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-07-2020 at 1:33 AM.

I agree with Bill - 1 1/8" is plenty wide

I use a plastic splitter that mounts in the insert and have also seen a steel pin used -not a lot of twisting force.

Cast iron is not a notch sensitive material and the reinforcing ribs are outside of your intended area. Strength wise you should be fine. A deeper thicker RK will give a closing cut more to grab while both sizes prevent the wood clamping onto the blade.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do not see any tape of any color.
    There's a piece of blue painter's tape right on the "square" part of the casting in the photo...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I say go for it.

And Bill, you’re having some computer issues!

Blog Entries
    Don’t cut any ribs on cast iron, sure path to warpage.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I say go for it.

And Bill, you’re having some computer issues!

The picture is too large. I had to click on it and it shrank to fit the window. That exposed the tape. The picture I was seeing was only about 50% of the image.
    Now that I see the tape there is no way I would cut that rib. It may warp the casting and that may not stay stable after it warps. Meaning you will have to tweak the mount after every temperature change. It should probably also be checked after every cut to see if forces have tweaked the casting. cast iron can move a lot more then most people think. Not nearly as flexable as glass but they both fail the same way. fast and completely not bent.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-07-2020 at 10:18 AM.

No opinion on whether or not you should do it but if you do, I would make sure to tape off any bearing or articulated joint inside the cabinet. If metal filing get into the arbor bearings, you will have an very un-fun project. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Cast iron is not a notch sensitive material and the reinforcing ribs are outside of your intended area. Strength wise you should be fine. A deeper thicker RK will give a closing cut more to grab while both sizes prevent the wood clamping onto the blade.
    Chuck
    By giving a closing cut more to grab, are you suggesting that deeper RK would bind more with pinching wood? My 0.109" thick RK (cut from 12ga sheet) will be 0.016" less than the kerf; so 0.008" less on each side.

Thanks for the tip.

"…-not a lot of twisting force."

Thanks, but I was concerned more with burning if two sides of the cut
    pinch together. Since the RK will be 0.016" thinner than the kerf, a deeper blade would be more effective.

Stupid me, I forgot that I could look in from the cabinet access door for a side view.

The part of the casting where I would grind is 5/8" thick (blue tape is just visible in the background), so 1/4" grind would leave 3/8" undisturbed. The vertical part where the motor mounts is 3/8" and the two re-inforcing webs are also 3/8" thick (the back web curves out like that to anchor a spring on the motor mount pivot).

IMG_3524.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    By giving a closing cut more to grab, are you suggesting that deeper RK would bind more with pinching wood? My 0.109" thick RK (cut from 12ga sheet) will be 0.016" less than the kerf; so 0.008" less on each side.
    Well, yes. But since the RK is not spinning like the blade there is no risk of increasing kickback, that's the good stuff. usually as the wood closes on the knife it continues to slide out the back. Sometimes it grabs hard and it ain't moving, but it's not grabbing the blade

Blog Entries
    Ribs cast into cast iron are strengthening areas. Can you notch the RK instead?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler