Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a tool addiction?

Is this a tool addiction?

So like the title says when do you figure out you have a tool addiction. In the last year I have picked up a Powermatic 1200 drill press. Delta DP220 drill press, Delta 14” Bandsaw, Delta 8” Jointer, PM100 12” Planer, and Walker Turner combo sander all for under $1300, but lots of work to clean up and restore. 816675FB-2CEB-4443-B678-C3637F8EAEB6.jpg9D89F3AC-829A-4AA3-82E2-4BA8AAC3A38E.jpgD19B463C-7A93-4568-8393-B2A366F86FFC.jpg7BB35E69-3E5C-462F-A89A-63C5FC414C27.jpgAD2AF624-826A-4A12-A56F-C13052C49A1F.jpg3071DD80-998F-4EBD-ADDD-366C1ECBFDB1.jpg

There are worse (and more expensive) hobbies involving cast iron.

At least yours will be used to make furniture, someday.

Compared to modern machines at retail, you're in for cheap.

Yes, it is addition... BTW there are many more expensive and less healthy additions!

Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    No, you just put together majority of a shop while spending a fraction of what most people here spent on their table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    No, you just put together majority of a shop while spending a fraction of what most people here spent on their table saw.
    That’s what I was thinking. Myself included. If they are serviceable and merely need a tune up and some cleaning it seems like smart shopping more than an addiction.

I also enjoy cleaning up and restoring old machines. They truly don’t make them like they use to.

It's only an addiction once you go past 2 drill presses (big and little) and 2 band saws (thin blade and wide). You look to have everything else covered, assuming you already had a TS.

You'll find plenty of company at OWWM dot org. One of my favorite comments there from a "your favorite joke" thread:

"We have, of course, moved away a while back from "favorite joke" to "jokes I like." Which is more logical - I mean, on a forum whose members consider that the ownership of six drill presses is a good start, we're being asked to name ONE joke?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    It's only an addiction once you go past 2 drill presses (big and little) and 2 band saws (thin blade and wide). You look to have everything else covered, assuming you already had a TS.
    The two drill press and bandsaw limit is just for the woodshop correct? I'm assuming the drill press(s) and bandsaw(s) for metalwork are counted seperately

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Brawley View Post
    I also enjoy cleaning up and restoring old machines. They truly don’t make them like they use to.
    "And those of us who own one know why" Red Green.................One of my favourite quotes

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    The two drill press and bandsaw limit is just for the woodshop correct? I'm assuming the drill press(s) and bandsaw(s) for metalwork are counted seperately
    I hope so.

I find many of the older drill presses fascinating pieces of art...they had "style" back in the day. While I'm not into old iron, I could conceivably bite if the right old DP crossed my path someday.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I find many of the older drill presses fascinating pieces of art...they had "style" back in the day. While I'm not into old iron, I could conceivably bite if the right old DP crossed my path someday.
    I used to be the same way then the bug bit me and now I look for old machines I want or ones going cheap that I can rehab and sell.

you are not alone, I bought myself a brand new, fully spec'ed SCM Ti145 spindle moulder as my 40th birthday present.... before negotiation the cost is $40k +

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    There are worse (and more expensive) hobbies involving cast iron.

At least yours will be used to make furniture, someday.

Compared to modern machines at retail, you're in for cheap.
    Yeah, I also play with machinist tools, talk about expensive cast iron.