Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These finds never happen around here

These finds never happen around here

Lucky find. You never find anything other than 40 year old junk around here as a norm...
    20201005_183136.jpg
    20201005_191056.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg

Ok Mark,what size is it ? I am guessing Centauro ? How good was the deal ? At any rate that is a great looking saw ,congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Ok Mark,what size is it ? I am guessing Centauro ? How good was the deal ? At any rate that is a great looking saw ,congratulations.
    Its a 900.. I hate to say how much

You did well Mark. curious what size is the motor on the 900 ? On my circa 1980 Co 600 it is a three h.p. 3 phase.

God, I can’t wait till I have the space and ceiling height for big bandsaws. I’ve seen a dozen 36” saws in the $500 range over the last 5-6 years. Nice pickup. I know everyone focuses on the big cast iron saws, but those 80s and 90s steel frame 36”ers can be real bargains.

You did well Mark. curious what size is the motor on the 900 ? On my circa 1980 Co 600 it is a three h.p. 3 phase.
    Doesn’t that thing make our 600’s look tiny? Check out the motor for comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    God, I can’t wait till I have the space and ceiling height for big bandsaws. I’ve seen a dozen 36” saws in the $500 range over the last 5-6 years. Nice pickup. I know everyone focuses on the big cast iron saws, but those 80s and 90s steel frame 36”ers can be real bargains.
    Gosh, I need to move lol if your falling on 36" plug and play saws for 500 bucks. This one came with a couple extra sets of guides and probably 25-30 blades. Maybe 10 or so never unwrapped but all a bit flash rusted. Got several sheets of solid surface that was dumpster destined as well.

That looks like a good haul there. Are the guides in good shape?

Most of the ~ $500 36” saws I’ve seen need some TLC and are not what I’d describe as plug and play, but the initial cost makes it seem like a low barrier to entry. Until you have the ceiling height to support it and the means and methods to transport and move it safely, which can be substantial for the old cast iron monsters. Many of them weigh 3000# and up and are quite tall.

In an ideal world, I think I’d want a 30” saw, but for now I’ll stick with my old 80s era Italian 20” (500mm) saw until I have more ceiling height in my next shop.
    Still waters run deep.

So who made It? not the 600 group I don't think they ever made bandsaws.
    Bil lD

Is that a 7 foot door behind your monolith?

Yowza

7.5 hp ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Is that a 7 foot door behind your monolith?

Yowza
    Not sure on the door. Saw is a touch under 9'

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    So who made It? not the 600 group I don't think they ever made bandsaws.
    Bil lD
    Bill, it’s a Centauro. Italian made
    Still waters run deep.

I recently picked up a Felder A3-31 for $100 on Craigslist. Guy knew nothing about the machine and just wanted it off his moving truck, and he even delivered it for free. I just sold it for $2000. I ended up going with a separate jointer planer than a combo machine. It pays to have craigslist searches set up to email you.

One of my friends used to have a 36'' Meber that he had a five horse three phase motor on. It would go thru anything. He gave me some lumber once from an Apple tree that they cut up on that saw.