Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: These finds never happen around here

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Gosh, I need to move lol if your falling on 36" plug and play saws for 500 bucks. This one came with a couple extra sets of guides and probably 25-30 blades. Maybe 10 or so never unwrapped but all a bit flash rusted. Got several sheets of solid surface that was dumpster destined as well.
    Just last year--about this time last year, actually--there were 3 for sale in quick succession to one another. The one looked like a mint northfield. Its not often i see older machines that have a shiny cast iron table. I was blown away it took a couple weeks to sell, and it was in the $400-700 range.

I watched a relatively close auction(2 hours away) and a 28" wadkin sold under a grand, i think. The generic steel frame bandsaw was definitely under a grand. It wasnt SCM or any other maker i recognized. Very few people want to move these tall saws. In my case, my 20" saw scrapes the ceiling joists in my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Just last year--about this time last year, actually--there were 3 for sale in quick succession to one another. The one looked like a mint northfield. Its not often i see older machines that have a shiny cast iron table. I was blown away it took a couple weeks to sell, and it was in the $400-700 range.

I watched a relatively close auction(2 hours away) and a 28" wadkin sold under a grand, i think. The generic steel frame bandsaw was definitely under a grand. It wasnt SCM or any other maker i recognized. Very few people want to move these tall saws. In my case, my 20" saw scrapes the ceiling joists in my basement.
    Ive seen several low brow steel frame saws go for pretty much minimum bid or scrap value at online and in-person auctions but they are all typically smaller low end machines. Ive never been actively looking but have yet to come across a turn key larger saw that is as I said, plug and play, for what I would consider a good price. I have no issue with the height, main shop is 10.5' and where its sitting now is 15' with a 14' door. If I get a chance to grab a breaker and get it wired this week we'll see what it does.

That's a major score no matter what you paid for it, Mark. Very nice saw! Stout. Stiff. Big.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a major score no matter what you paid for it, Mark. Very nice saw! Stout. Stiff. Big.
    Thanks Jim,
    Too big, but too good a deal to pass up. Im sure as soon as I fire it up I will want to keep it but right now its probably going on the block after a while lol.

What you need is a big resaw job to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    What you need is a big resaw job to justify it.
    Agreed Bradley. May happen, may not. We do have the opportunity to resaw a lot of drawer parts when the material works. Thicker kerf on this saw may thwart that without moving to 1/2" solid maple sides which is an option. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Are the guides in good shape?
    Had two sets of stock guides in a box. Carter upper and lower is what was on the saw. All seem fine. Like I say, thing is ready to work. I took a little time and blew a little bit of dust out of the upper guide post. Gave everything a little wax/lube to get the full travel. Looks like the saw on average never saw much more than thin-ish stock judging by a bit of discoloration/rust on the blade covers and the guide post. Seems like it rarely, if ever, was moved to full capacity. 21.75" is pretty steep. Should have it wired up tomorrow if I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    So who made It? not the 600 group I don't think they ever made bandsaws. Bil lD
    I think a couple guys named Mario and Luigi in Italy but not sure.. actually those two are plumbers so might be two other Italian guys....