Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stanley #3 Plane Oddities - Normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Mosman View Post
    Thank you for your input guys. I was able to go back and look much more intelligently at what I've got. And, as I was looking at it, I remembered that the no. 5 that I also just acquired is a type 19 as well. So I dug it out to compare, which also helped. So I have some things to try. For now, I'm going to quit hijacking Leo's thread. (I only jumped in here because we seemed to have the same plane and I thought it was possible that my input might be a help to him)

So I'll be back in a while in my own thread. Thanks again, I feel like I have some direction now.

Doug

P.S. For what its worth, I set the frog back on the sole and did some gentle back and forth rubbing. The rust glaze worked to highlight the current points of contact. You can see them as the bright spots on the upper pads in the picture. (and no bright spots at all on the lower pads )

Attachment 443600
    That actually looks like it is in pretty good condition; I've worked on far worse. If you don't mind driving out to Mound sometime, I can give you some pointers on rehabbing it.

Andrew, I'd like that. I could swing out that way this weekend if that would work?

To me the big issue is getting the frog settled in properly. Outside of that and the little bit of rust in the picture, the plane is virtually new so once the frog is sorted out it will be more like a tuning exercise than rehab. (Not that I've done tuning before either)

Do you want to PM me?

If you shop for rust long enough, you find some real oddities. I found a no-name #4 with a lever cap that never had the flat spring, not even d&t for one, and a Stanley #3 that the sole was not machined, and the “Made in USA” was cast between the tote boss and the right cheek. QA/QC was asleep on the job for both.