Thread: Target Coatings and Zinsser?

Target Coatings and Zinsser?

I'm getting ready to spray face frames and doors for a cabinet project and was curious if people have experienced any issues using Zinsser BIN primer and EMTECH EM6500 together. I'd like to use Zinsser because of how well it covers especially since I'll be spraying MDF doors and want to make sure the edges are filled. The sprayer I'll be using is Fuji Spray's HVLP Semi-Pro 2 with bottom feed. Do you recommend the 1.5 tip? Thank you!

Ryan, why don’t you give Target a phone call. Jeff Weiss (the owner and chemist) will more than likely answer the phone and give advise, he answered my questions on his products.

While you "shouldn't" have any issues with that combination, I agree with Robert that a quick call to Target can get you confirmation. You could, of course, do the best practice of creating test pieces and going through your entire finishing regimen before committing to the final project. That's ALWAYS the best idea no matter what.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I called Jeff at Target yesterday and he recommended thinning the Zinsser 50% with alcohol and spraying light coats of EM6500 thinned 5% with water.

I just used this product on my son's bathroom vanity.

I infact also have the Fuji Semi Pro 2. I used the stock 1.5 tip.

I used Em6500 (tinted to a Benjamin Moore color) and HSF5000 WB Primer/filler.

I recommend them both. If you are doing a darker color, then you might want a darker primer than BIN anyway.

Jeff is the one who steered me away from BIN and towards the Target primer.

(edit)

Just reading his response to you. I defer to Jeff, but submit that he may not have experience with the equipment you and I have and might be underestimating its capacity. Personally, I would consider using the HSF5000 and not thinning the 6500. Neither product requires thinning through your equipment. Both sprayed just fine. If you use BIN and thin, beware that you don't get runs (spray it horizontally). If you thin the 6500, beware that you don't swell the MDF more. Personally, I prefer to use a retarder rather than ever thinning a waterbased coat with water; water thinning always just causes more problems for me. But on these, I repeat, you don't need them.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-06-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Prashun,

Thank you for that info. Sounds almost identical to what I'm doing. I already have the Zinsser so that's why I'd like to use it. I purchased the retarder for the 6500 and will take your advice to avoid MDF swelling when thinned with water. So you got good results with the 1.5 tip? Jeff recommended the 1.8 which I would have to purchase.

I got good results with the 1.5mm tip and I did not thin at all. *if* i felt the need to thin, I'd use the retarder not water. But I didn't have to do that.