Thread: Miter Saw recommendations for 2020

Miter Saw recommendations for 2020

Hi, I've tried to search through the forums for some miter saw recommendations, but everything posted is quite a few years old, so it's out of date in terms of current models and capabilities.

I would like a new miter/chop saw. While the Festool certainly meets all of my requirements, I cannot get myself to spend $1500 on a miter saw. Just seems like that particular tool is way overpriced. Their sanders, routers, etc all make more sense, as in, they are expensive but worth it.

I currently have a little Ryobi 7.25" sliding saw that was the "Fisher Price, my first miter saw" and it's actually pretty good, and worked well for my mobile work bench, but I'll be building a number of cabinets against a wall with a miter saw station integrated, and the sliding mechanism extends way behind the saw, which won't work (see my requirement #1 for a new saw)

Is there a different brand/model that will meet my requirements that you guys recommend?

1) 10" sliding saw, but the sliding mechanism needs to not extend behind the saw. Like the Festool, Bosch, or Makita

2) Good dust collection. I've read that Festool is the best at this, like most of their other tools. Does anyone else even come close?

3) The ability to adjust things for an accurate 90 degree cut. I will mostly use this to cut longer stock down to perfect lengths. If I'm doing more complicated angles and other such things, I will use my cross cut sled on the table saw.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    If you decide to spend in Kapex territory, buy an Omga. Much better, only accurate chop saw I have ever used.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Both Bosch & Delta make a hinged miter saw that has the length of a slider but the particular of the hinges allow it to sit much closer to the wall. Last I checked the Delta was about $500 & Bosch ~$650. I believe that the hinges allow for adjustability but I have no research about dust collection. I think it would need to be a dust hood type situation. To me the compact nature of these saws is what draws me to them.

Unless of course you go with a radial arm saw like the type at the big box where the blade is covered and the dust collection is through that box.

Just some thoughts. I would really like to know what you end up getting as I'll be in this process in the next year or so too.

Blog Entries
    I go to Home Depot and Lowes to find items like this. You can look at them, feel them and make a selection.

The Festool Kapex may be better for dust collection but it still gets a lot of swarf all over. I own one.

I would focus on other aspects of the saw and not make dust collection a major focus. Even with the Festool you're going to have a lot of dust.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Agree with Mike on this one dont let dust collection be your guide. Once you put on a zero clearance fence dust collection is out the window. I have used both the kapex and the bosch glide (12") the build quality does feel better with the kapex but at almost 3x the price not worth it. Doing it over would have gone bosch

I recommend the Bosch glide. Because that’s what I have
    Aj

If I were buying today I'd get the 10" Makita (rails in the front). I currently have a Ridgid slider which (all things considered) has been fantastic. But the laser broke and parts are no longer available. My research pointed me towards the Bosch glide or the Makita. You are smart to avoid the models with the rails in the back, my Ridgid needs an obscene amount of space between it and the wall.

Full disclosure: I finally upgraded my table this year and made a crosscut sled for it. That lets me get some more life out of the Ridgid by relegating it to only chop saw and crown molding duties.

Avoid the Kapex at all costs! It's garbage. It's awkward, expensive, and doesn't do anything you can do more comfortably and just as accurately at half the price. The DW780 and the DW779 are both proven. The Bosch glide is good, but also over priced.

You're looking for accuracy with a miter saw. The more important purchase is the blade. I recommend Tenryu for the best miter saw blade. As for the saw itself, DW is better, dollar for dollar, than bosch or, *ahem* festool. Neither of those saws will make more of a difference than good blade will.

(And for the festool fanatics: You've been ripped off. Deal with it)

Blog Entries
    I’m very happy with my Bosch glide 12” saw.
    It’s a large saw but it’s nice that it doesn’t take up excess space for the rail length and such. The glide mechanisms are very smooth and a treat to use. You do pay a little more for it than Dewalt and the like but well worth it in my opinion.
    There are a number of good saws out there so you’ll likely be happy with any saw you’ve researched.

Blog Entries
    They are all the same, different color. Unless you step up to OMGA, or a old iron RAS.

After I setup my cabinet saw with a Incra mitre gauge I compared it to my Kapex using the ‘five cut test’. They were pretty much on par. I found that how you held the handle & guided the saw changed the accuracy of the cut (soft hands help). I think the vertical handle was intended to keep the hand force inline with the blade. If I were doing it now I think I would probably get the Makita from a store with a liberal return policy & find a ‘good one’.
    Just a Duffer

Blog Entries
    Problem is when you cut 8/4 stock with it, it’s not very happy. A saw should be able to cut max capacity without burning up the motor or pulling out of square.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.