Thread: Source for threaded inserts in thin stock?

Source for threaded inserts in thin stock?

Looking for a source (hyperlink) to where I can click on it, then buy, threaded inserts and bolts (similar to https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KM4OVT0...v_ov_lig_dp_it which is too long) for thin stock (3/4" walnut). Attaching 14 ga legs to an end table. I've worn out the internet this morning looking for something, and it seems when I find something, it either costs an arm and 5 legs (https://www.rockler.com/e-z-knife-th...6-32-to-3-8-16), the TPI doesn't match the bolt I found, the bolt I found is too long, the insert is only for softwood.....there has to be some sort of kit some where that has the inserts and bolts to match. I'm guessing since I'm in thin stock, I need a higher thread per inch count?

Blog Entries
    I use McMaster.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wow! Great site! Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of: Brass or steel?

Probably brass, but steel would suffice.
    David

Tapping threads directly into wood works really well.
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 10-05-2020 at 9:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    I prefer brass.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Lee Valley sells brass threaded inserts. I use a lot of the 1/4-20 ones, which are a half inch long. Lee Valley also sells a very good driver for installing the inserts. This one is for 1/4-20 inserts, and they have drivers for other threads. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...r?item=50J0351

So why brass instead of steel? Seems to me brass threads would compress more easily, preventing removal and reinserting of the bolts (e.g for shipping). From my plumbing experience (not much) it's been drilled into me not to mix dissimilar metals, and I haven't found any brass furniture bolts. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Colson View Post
    So why brass instead of steel? Seems to me brass threads would compress more easily, preventing removal and reinserting of the bolts (e.g for shipping). From my plumbing experience (not much) it's been drilled into me not to mix dissimilar metals, and I haven't found any brass furniture bolts. What am I missing?
    As I understand it, brass machines more easily, so they can reliably cut those thin knife edge threads around the outside.

Woodworking is not plumbing. The water in plumbing gives you the threat of electrolysis when you electrically join dissimilar metals.