Thread: Carbide Tip Router Bits & Saw Blades Protection

Carbide Tip Router Bits & Saw Blades Protection

I have several carbide tip saw blades and router bits that I need to put into storage for about yr or so. I want to put them into tupperware containers say bits in one and blades in the other. But to protect the edges I was thinking of finding that wax coating that they use when you send blades & bits out to get them sharpen.But I don't know what that wax coating is called or if there is another way.Looking for ideals and what that wax coating is called,thanks guys for any ideals and help.

Traversdotcom has what you're looking for, but I would guess the cost of the wax and the melting pot aren't what you're interested in. Maybe you could bring them to a local tool and die shop and they would dip them for a fee.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Heck,drop that ideal.Dang I thought maybe few dollars,I'm out of touch. Think I might give this a try,just a quick dip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 10-04-2020 at 3:39 PM.

I never tried this, but maybe you can spray them with shellac. Shellac is alcohol based and it can be removed fairly easily when you're ready to use them.

Mike

[I thought you were looking for something to protect against rust. If you want to protect against damage, put them between foam sheets.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-04-2020 at 5:40 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Masking tape, or duct tape if you're obsessive. It will provide a thinner protective layer than that wax/rubber stuff, but if you don't throw them around the shop it will be thick enough. Tape is cheap, and you don't need accessory tools to apply it. Or just wrap them in newspaper.

An easy protection for saw blades is a small diameter plastic tubing slit down one side. I'd wrap the bits in VCI paper so the shanks don't rust.

Masking tape or wrap in piece of paper towel for bits with rubber band for bits. Separate with cardboard for blades.

Put the blades between pieces of cardboard and tape them up. No need to get fancy. Router tooling should be compartmentalized so individual tools can't touch/clank into each other. Wrapping as has been suggested is one way. There are also small "bubble pack" bags available that can be used for this application.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Put a little uncooked rice in the tupperware with them.