Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is the quincy qt-54 60 gallon air compressor so noisy?

why is the quincy qt-54 60 gallon air compressor so noisy?

I've been watching a few youtube videos of other compressors and the quincy I have sure runs a lot faster and seems a lot noisier compared to these other brands on youtube. It's still a good bit quieter than my old oil less craftsman 33 gallon though, gonna call quincy on Monday and ask if I can put a different intake muffler on it. Looks like their 80 gallon version has a lot bigger muffler than my 60 gallon

Download a noise meter onto your phone so you can get readings to tell Quincy. Getting a few of how loud something is over the internet is hard to do. Getting readings from X feet away is data they can use. Not “that guy’s compressor on YouTube sounds louder than mine”.

Curious how you can get an accurate comparison of your compressor to a video on the internet. Did they actually mention measured sound numbers?

Well you're correct. You guys know all of the old 25 year old air compressor that are real low rpm and you can practically stand next to it and talk.

That's what I'm asking is why is this one a lot higher rpm and much louder.

Mine runs faster than my dads 30yr old 80gal, but no way is it louder.
    My dads you could barely have a conversation anywhere in the entire 40x40 garage when it’s running, however you can talk all day long in my 2car attached garage.
    I was surprised it ran a lot higher rpm when I bought it though. Not bad, just not expecting that

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    That's what I'm asking is why is this one a lot higher rpm and much louder.
    Again, how do you know the dB’s of a compressor on YouTube? Do you know the dB’s of yours? What exactly will your question be for Quincy? “A guy on YouTube has a quieter compressor than me and I want mine quieter”?

Is this something spec’d in the various compressor docs? Might start there

Should have got the QT-5. What is your pump rpm? What is the minimum rpm for that pump? A motorcyle muffler works well for the intake silencer. I use an oil bath air cleaner and some radiator hose.
    Bil lD

The 80 gallon one? Yeah, but they required like a 80 amp breaker and my last shop didn't have that kind of power. Then again the website that gave me that info was inaccurate, looking back they now require a 30 amp breaker for the qt-54.

By their nature, even a "quiet" compressor is loud...yet another reason why I keep mine in a sound deadened closet. Something that runs at a higher speed generates more noise for obvious reasons...the piston(s) are cycling even faster. (doesn't apply to some forms of compressors but those are really expensive and not likely to be in most folks' shops who participate here)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The QT series is Quincy's budget model with an offshore faster running pump. Yours might have an additional problem but in general it won't compare to the QR series. In the sound level world, a larger pump running at 600-700 rpm is much quieter ( more quiet ) than a smaller pump running over 1000 rpm. Dave

Compressor noise is most related to the RPM of the pump. And how heavy the pump is. Big thick cast iron wall pumps are quieter than thin aluminum ones. My Q series Quincy pump can run at 450 RPM with a 3HP motor or you can change the pulleys and run it at 900RPM with a 5HP motor. I run it at the slow speed and it's quieter but also the noise it makes is not unpleasant.

Is it rated for 450rpm that sounds to low to me to be safe. I thought minimum was more like 500-750rpm. I have never heard of a Q series pump is that splash or pressure lube. Even a pressure lube pump relies on some some splash.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-08-2020 at 10:20 AM.

I have a quincy; most of the noise is from the rattling cage surrounding the drive pulleys.
    Where did I put those band aids?