Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cnc cam software fusion cnc

Cnc cam software fusion cnc

So just got my cnc. Long mill sienci. Very exited. But as things happen. Right when I get it fusion changes its cnc function. I never even got to try the cnc stuff. Any good free or low cost hobby software. Or is. Vectric 2.5d really the way to go even for hobbyiests
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

I use vcarve pro. It is worth every penny. Lots of training videos, good support from the forum and the updates are well priced and they keep improving it's function. My suggestion is bite the bullet and pay for something good and be done. It will pay for itself in no time.

The thing with Fusion was inevitable, honestly.

One of the things I really like about Vectric's software is that it's well supported, fully featured and upgradable to the next level for only the difference in cost if your needs change. They have excellent online training videos and a good support forum, too. You can put the software on multiple machines (as long as you are the only one using it) for convenience so if you want to draw in your home office on a different computer than you use with your CNC machine, no problem. That's how I use it.

If your machine is small (no larger than 24"x24" or the metric equivalent, you can use VCarve Desktop. Same feature set as VCarve Pro at a lower cost. But like Bobby, I feel that Vectric's applications are worth the money and they have been consistent with how they do business for a long time, too. Oh, and with most machines, with the Vectric software, your draw and toolpath in one place to create ready-to-cut files because of the large number of post-processors supported. (PPs are created by machine manufacturers and so many support Vectric it's not funny)

There are other applications like MasterCam, Rhinoceros, etc., too. Pretty much anything "worthy" comes with a cost.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    So just got my cnc. Long mill sienci. Very exited. But as things happen. Right when I get it fusion changes its cnc function. I never even got to try the cnc stuff. Any good free or low cost hobby software. Or is. Vectric 2.5d really the way to go even for hobbyiests

Clark,
    Just curious - why can't you use Fusion 360 for creating tool paths for your cnc router? When you say "fusion changes its cnc function" - exactly what do you mean. I just checked my free version of Fusion 360 and it will create router tool paths just fine.
    Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 10-05-2020 at 5:23 AM.

If you want to use the free version of Fusion, you still can. There is a discussion about the changes on the Sienci forum. I don't use it, but those who do say that the changes are not an issue for what they are doing with it. They may well not be for you, too.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    If you want to use the free version of Fusion, you still can. There is a discussion about the changes on the Sienci forum. I don't use it, but those who do say that the changes are not an issue for what they are doing with it. They may well not be for you, too.

Great observation Grant! Perhaps Clark didn't delve into the details of the Fusion 360 agreement.
    David

Unless you have a 4th and 5th axis, the hobbyist license will still to the CAM just fine.

However you do give up automatic tool changes (M06? code) and some rapids. This can be managed by exporting individual files for the different tools and editing Gcode if necessary.

Some of more problematic changes were made on the design side and have to do with documentation and file management.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I thought I read no 3 axis milling and no rapids in the new hobby version of Fusion. I would suggest VCarve Pro like the others, and forget
    "free" as your criteria.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

In the world of CAD/CAm software that usually costs between a few hundred and tens of thousands there is an offering that claims to be FREE.

It's simple: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Autodesk's "coke dealer" marketing plan to give out free samples until a large number are hooked will only work as long as the mindset of those who are willing to take the "free" product and assume it will be free forever exists. It should be clear now. Lets guess which way their next price/feature adjustment goes next??
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I thought I read no 3 axis milling and no rapids in the new hobby version of Fusion. I would suggest VCarve Pro like the others, and forget
    "free" as your criteria.
    Their definition of 3 axis is different than the simple flat-bed XYZ gantry style machines. It can still generate paths that have coordinated motion in X, Y and Z. What it won't do is enable the A, B, C axis motion so stock can be moved. So you can do 3 axis machining by use of manually controlled fixtures.

The missing rapids is annoying but mostly for those with large machines. People with smaller machines may not even notice since their "large" moves wouldn't be long enough to get up to full speed anyway.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I am going with Garys thinking, I started with ACAD with Version 2.6 (Release 9 was an upgrade $200) and they used to be a nice company to deal with including upgrades. Not any more its all about $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    they used to be a nice company to deal with including upgrades. Not any more its all about $$$$.
    That's exactly right - there's no free lunch!

Vectric Aspire - $1995, upgrades cost $400
    Solid Works - $3995 for single seat license, $1295/year subscription
    MasterCAM - $4000 to $40,000 per seat

I use all of these here at my shop, and by comparison a paid subscription to Fusion 360 is a bargain.
    David

There are a lot of variables besides just listing those prices. I never create 3D so would never purchase Aspire as vcarve pro does everything for me at $700 and then when you speak upgrades, you aren't required to buy any upgrades with vectric unless you really need them and then it is only $175. Depends on what you need but in my case Vectric is the best bargain even if you do the upgrade over a couple years. Best bang for the buck will vary with user depending on their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    There are a lot of variables besides just listing those prices. I never create 3D so would never purchase Aspire as vcarve pro does everything for me at $700 and then when you speak upgrades, you aren't required to buy any upgrades with vectric unless you really need them and then it is only $175. Depends on what you need but in my case Vectric is the best bargain even if you do the upgrade over a couple years. Best bang for the buck will vary with user depending on their needs.
    With all the 3D or 2.5D art available to purchase at Vectric Make store and you can router that in VCarve Pro and you can add your text or whatever. Of course if your doing real 3D modeling of your own custom design you need Aspire or another program.

Vectric is pretty consistent and clear about what each level of their software can do and they don't play games with pricing...if you need higher level of capability, it's just the difference in cost between the level you have and the level you need. They have also been very kind to VCP owners in continuing to add new capabilities that bridge the gap between VCP and Aspire for many situations. The molding tool path is one example. It was added, I think, in V9 and is a very powerful tool that one can use to sculpt many things that otherwise would have required the 3D modeling in the more expensive Aspire. I'm not suggesting that this is the right software for any one person, however. I'm just pointing out that they do serve the market pretty well, both at the lower end (Cut2-D, VCarve Desktop) through VCarve Pro and Aspire for a fair cost. And at the high end, Aspire certainly doesn't do some of the 3D modeling things that other applications like Rhino can do...nor does it have adaptive toolpathing currently.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...