Thread: Dust collection on Jet JWBS-14sfx

Dust collection on Jet JWBS-14sfx

I got the 5 inch wye yesterday so I've been working on the dust collection of my new bandsaw. It came with a little plywood piece to reduce the airflow into the upper dust port that is below the lower blade guides. I did not initially "get it" and cut it wrong so I made a replacement. I slotted it with a handsaw on the outside so I can remove the blade without removing this block and also made it a little longer than the plywood piece. The lower 4 inch port sucks from the bottom right corner of the saw. It worked but the stringy "dust" from my hook blade got caught on the debris screen and it tended to collect a little pile of dust in the corner adjacent to the port. I collect with a cyclone so I am not worried about little pieces so I cut the screen out. I also added a block in the corner to stop the buildup. It is just held by friction.

My 5 inch wye goes directly to a 5 inch metal blast gate which goes to a 5 to (2) 4 inch ports fitting that came with my HF DC. Two 10 foot flex hoses connect to the saw. This provides a LOT of suction relative to the openings in the lower compartment of the saw. I've only done test cuts but it seems to work well. A little dust on top but not much. No buildup inside. The DC chokes down significantly when hooked to the saw. Running one 4 inch and splitting it at the saw would probably work fine. open lower door on bandsaw.jpglower dust port on bandsaw.jpg

These pictures show the lower door open view so you can see the wood pieces and a view of the lower port before I removed the debris screen.

I bought the cheap 1hp dust collector from HF for when I don't need the power of my larger collector and would rather not have to listen to it. It came with the same screen on both the inlet and outlet. Both plugged up exactly the same and had to be removed. I haven't had issues yet with the ones in the ports on my grizzly band saw but if I do I'll remove them as well. I've actually had good luck with the little 1hp collector connected up to the band saw. I think for resawing its not going to be enough but for that I'll connect up the larger collector. I think they put those screens in the outlet ports on the band saws to keep people from reaching into them while it's running.

I think my 2hp had a similar screen in metal when I got it but I switched the inlet to 6 inch to match the cyclone. I haven't removed the plastic screen from the bandsaw port from the lower blade guide area yet because it hasn't plugged yet. I think most of the time the screens just cause problems.

This is what I did and it works great. I took the top one off entirely but you could block it off for better suction.

IMG_20160130_183259803_HDR.jpg IMG_20160123_154040624.jpg