Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordless shop vacuum on wheels

Cordless shop vacuum on wheels

Looking to buy a cordless shop vac on wheels.

The only one I've found that is in the typical shop vac form factor is the Ridgid 9 Gallon NXT Wet Dry Vac, HD0900 $119.
    Since I don't have any Ridgid tools, I'll have to buy a Ridgid battery (Octane 6 ah, $149) and charger ($60). Total $328 + tax.

Anyone here using this Ridgid cordless shop vac? Is it worth $328?

Any other cordless shop vac suggestions?

Curious why you need cordless? Portable? Hate cords lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Curious why you need cordless? Portable? Hate cords lol?
    When I vacuum the floor, my shopvac is repeatedly being hung up by the wheels hitting the extension cord. I'm hoping to get rid of that pain with a cordless shop vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sato View Post
    When I vacuum the floor, my shopvac is repeatedly being hung up by the wheels hitting the extension cord. I'm hoping to get rid of that pain with a cordless shop vacuum.
    Unfortunately Mike, the vacuum cleaner you mention is a corded model. I have their 3 gallon battery operated Cordless Wet/Dry Vac WD0319. Quite handy, but a battery hog.

Regards, André

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Packwood View Post
    Unfortunately Mike, the vacuum cleaner you mention is a corded model. I have their 3 gallon battery operated Cordless Wet/Dry Vac WD0319. Quite handy, but a battery hog.

Regards, André
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-9...0918/308699714

Do you have cordless tools now? If you do, have you checked with that manufacturer to see if they make a cordless vac?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I apologize this isn't an answer to the question you asked, but it may address the problem you mention.

Since it is only within your shop, you might consider running 2" PVC pipe around your shop with blast gates positioned in convenient spots. This lets you leave the shopvac (and small cyclone/large dust reservoir) out of the way. A long hose or two you can connect wherever you want makes for fairly convenient access.

My shop ceilings are low enough to reach, so that's where I put mine. And several low voltage switches running to a relay allow me to switch it on or off from almost anywhere in the shop without needing to hang onto a remote. While it does take some assembly, the pipe, fittings, relay, switches, cyclone, reinforced bin and hose add up to less than a battery and charger. The hose is the most expensive part, and you probably want that anyway.

Long pipe runs are less of a problem for a shopvac with its relatively large pressure drop than for a high-flow low pressure drop DC.
    Last edited by Alan Schwabacher; 10-06-2020 at 11:02 AM. Reason: 2" not 3"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    I apologize this isn't an answer to the question you asked, but it may address the problem you mention.

Since it is only within your shop, you might consider running 2" PVC pipe around your shop with blast gates positioned in convenient spots. This lets you leave the shopvac (and small cyclone/large dust reservoir) out of the way. A long hose or two you can connect wherever you want makes for fairly convenient access.

My shop ceilings are low enough to reach, so that's where I put mine. And several low voltage switches running to a relay allow me to switch it on or off from almost anywhere in the shop without needing to hang onto a remote. While it does take some assembly, the pipe, fittings, relay, switches, cyclone, reinforced bin and hose add up to less than a battery and charger. The hose is the most expensive part, and you probably want that anyway.

Long pipe runs are less of a problem for a shopvac with its relatively large pressure drop than for a high-flow low pressure drop DC.

This is a very good suggestion
    Ron

At $380.00 you could by a top end corded vac and just make a cord trolly for the ceiling ... just saying?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Do you have cordless tools now? If you do, have you checked with that manufacturer to see if they make a cordless vac?

Mike
    My cordless tools are a 3/8" drill and an impact driver both by Bosch. Bosh sells a 2.6 gallon cordless vacuum that's in the typical shopvac form factor but unfortunately the vacuum does not have wheels and does not allow attaching the hose to use as a blower.

I could make a bottom with casters to solve the wheels problem. But being able to connect the hose for blowing is an absolute must have for me. I use the blower so much to blow sawdust out of my power tools and to clean our carport. I don't have a shop so have to work in our carport. My table saw and jointer are on wheels so I roll them out of their storage cabinets to do work in the carport. At the end of a day of work, I blow the sawdust on the floor out of the carport on to the concrete walkway up to the hollow tile wall. Then I just sweep up the sawdust along the wall and dump it into the trash.

I don't know what the Bosh designers were thinking when they made a shop vacuum that can only suck but not blow. Or maybe the designers wanted to be able to attach the hose for a blower but the marketing department nixed it so they could sell Bosh cordless blowers. Either way, they lost me as a buyer of their shop vacuum.

Thanks for your suggestion.

OK with this additional information I now understand what you want a lot better.
    Sorry don't have any answers for you. I have never had a shop where I could blow it all out like you and some others on here do. Sounds like a lot easier to keep clean.
    Would like to know what you end up with
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post

Thank you for your suggestion.

Unfortunately it won't work for me since I use my shopvac all around the house, not only in our carport shop. For example when I do house repairs I often need a shop vacuum to suck up sawdust or wood chips, or to blow those items out of crevices. This happens anywhere in or out of the house.

Keep it warm.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    At $380.00 you could by a top end corded vac and just make a cord trolly for the ceiling ... just saying?

Hi Richard. As previously mentioned in another post, I use my shopvac all around the house, not only in our carport shop. For example when I do house repairs I often need a shop vacuum to suck up sawdust or wood chips, or to blow those items out of crevices. This happens anywhere in or out of the house.

Another example is when I did plumbing work. The main water line from the city comes up from the ground at the exterior of our house. I had to do some soldering but the main water valve was leaking so water kept coming up that pipe. That made it impossible to solder the union coupling I needed. My work around was to get a smaller diameter copper tubing and duct tape it to my shopvac's hose. I stuck that tubing into the water line coming up from the ground and turned on the vacuum. I was then able to solder the union coupling to the main water line. In other words I use my shop vacuum all around the house for various jobs.

Thanks for taking the time to make your suggestion. I appreciate it.

Sounds like what you need is a battery powered leaf blower. Easy to find in whatever brand battery you might have.

My 10 year old 18V Makita is what I use in my shop, as well as blowing off my porch area.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Get McGyver with a 12V battery and an inverter?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.