Thread: New shop needs new dust collection plan

New shop needs new dust collection plan

In my current shop I have a griz 1029 dust collector connected to Table saw with a hose on the floor running to the wall then connected to A vertical pipe as part of the rest of the system. It works fine and is in a place that is not a normal walk path. The power cord is next to it. I am building a new shop with a different layout. I have some ideas but don’t know that I can cast in concrete (or at least the pipe that is). If I don’t I will have to do a vertical drop in the center of the shop or lay the pipe in a walk path. Any suggestions? Do I put pipe in the most logical Place in the floor and if I do something different just cover it up
    thanks
    gary

I wouldn’t put dust collection pipe in concrete personally. What if you want to rearrange the shop at some point? What if something gets sucked in that shouldn’t and needs to get removed mid pipe? What if you ever wanted to re-route or upsize your piping? Way simpler and future proof to mount from above with drops coming down. Maybe I’m missing something, though. If you had a wooden framed floor with reasonable access from below, I might consider in floor DC to be a reasonable option, but still sounds like a pain to me.
    Still waters run deep.

Channel the floor with a removable cover for electric and dust collection. Allows you to open it up if need be, yet not in the road.
    Ron

I agree with the other comment(s) about utilizing the floor...channels with covers are a much better setup than putting duct work directly into the 'crete. You WILL make changes over time. You WILL experience a plugged line and if it's buried in concrete, cleaning it out is a lot more difficult.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also wouldn't do a duct in the concrete . When looking at the pro's / con's , what is so bad about a drop down to the table saw ?

Investigate raised access flooring. I put that in my workshop, with all the dust collection ducts and electrical conduit running under the raised floor.

Very easy to make changes, and totally hidden with no vertical drops.

You can find used flooring panels at a great discount, or buy new in many designs / colors.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I’ve been helping a friend build his shop out. It is an existing building with a good slab. He put down 12” engineered floor joists 12”OC. The plan is, once things are done to cut the floor laying a 6” main across the building in one joist bay. He will pick up the TS on the way and the other machines against the far wall. He can then get his DC out of the 24x24’ space under a 12x24 overhang. He isn’t sure about Final equipment lay-out at this point and so is running the 4” hose for trial. With the 12” centers it will be a small matter to open multiple bays, but I think we will not have to do that. He is running the 2hp Laguna DC inside at this point. I took up my #8 ext cord and rolled the DC out onto the deck and shut the doors. You could hear yourself think and that sold it. As well, 24x24 is a nice space, but DC’s take up a lot of it.
    For your new space consider doing it this way. Maximum flexibility and a wood floor to walk on for comfort. I sure wish I had done mine this way.