Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving heavy machinery around the shop

The Bora 35xx series (including 3550) are rated for 1500 lbs. My ~850 lb planer/jointer is no problem to move on a 3550 across my garage floor (slightly better than my concrete driveway's finish, but certainly not a polished surface). And when the base is locked, it is very stable.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Felder suggested I get a narrow pallet jack before my equipment was delivered, and it was definitely money well spent. I took the Northern Tool route also.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    For those that use a pallet jack, what do you have for the base of the heavy equipment? A real pallet?

The wheels on a pallet jack are bigger than any mobility base that I know of. They are also on bearings and the push/pull forces are easy to apply directly to wheel height by the handle. You can really shove on a pallet jack. I was moving a pallet of thinset yesterday, #3500 and it's fairly effortless. Sweep first, but once you get it moving it's momentum keeps it going over little debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Felder suggested I get a narrow pallet jack before my equipment was delivered, and it was definitely money well spent. I took the Northern Tool route also.
    It was Felder (in Dallas) that recommended the PM3500/3550 for my Hammer A3-41, since I needed it to roll lengthwise in my shop setup (their mobility kit only supported rolling broadside, and steering).

The delivery driver put the machine, on its pallet, in my garage. I had cut 30" long ramps out of a 2x4 to help get his pallet truck over the 1-5/8" step from the driveway to the garage floor.

I rented an engine lift to transfer it off the shipping pallet, onto the mobile base.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I just moved an 1100 lb machine 150 feet up a paver driveway that is not especially flat with a pallet jack. I was worried about how it would roll but no issue at all.