Thread: What's in deck cleaners?

What's in deck cleaners?

What are the active ingredients in products advertised as deck cleaners? Do they contain oxalyic acid or other types of wood bleaches? Or is the terminology "deck cleaner" a generic name for any sort of cleaner that can be used to wash decks?

Stephen, I just went to HD's website and looked at the SDS sheets for 3 different "deck cleaners". One contained oxalic acid, one contained Borax dexahydrate and one had TSP (trisodium phosphate). I think "deck cleaner" is just a generic term for anything that can be used to clean decks.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Stephen, I just went to HD's website and looked at the SDS sheets for 3 different "deck cleaners". One contained oxalic acid, one contained Borax dexahydrate and one had TSP (trisodium phosphate). I think "deck cleaner" is just a generic term for anything that can be used to clean decks.

And some contain Chlorine bleach.

I have had great experiences with oxalic acid based cleaners.

Oxalyic acid, aka Barkeeper’s Friend. If you like its effectiveness in pots, pans, sinks, etc, you’ll love it on your deck. It’ll persist longer than bleach too. Borax will work well and deter bugs until it washes away with enough rain. Persulfates are good too (kaboom, oxyclean, etc) and they’re safe to handle. I go with oxyclean in water in the pressure washer soap tank and a stiff brush.

Barkeeper's Friend, good stuff! I use it for everything, sinks, de-rusting stainless, our ceramic cooktop (when we had it), I even polish boats with it...

oxb4.jpgoxaf.jpg
    bkf.jpgoxside.jpg

- I have no decking to use it on, but I'll bet it'll work!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

From personal experience, deck cleaners contain ingredients that don’t work.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I've tried probably everything, over the years, and for a good while now, only use water through the pressure washer with a fairly wide nozzle. My pressure washer is 2500 psi, 4.4 gpm, and I use some nozzle 25 degrees or wider. We quit staining decks, and docks a long time ago too, because it just made us put off pressure washing, since that blasts off any finish.

I've got an ipe deck .And it was a lot of work since I used the plastic "biscuits" and angled SS screws. The ipe was ,for me, interesting stuff but the brown painted look is not competing well with nature. If I replace it , I will put thin tapered pieces
    on top of the joists to to make a slope to drain rain. New surface will be 3/4" inch plywood covered with painted canvas.
    As a kid I saw porches like that ,and I know they work.

Where it's an option, brick pavers are way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Where it's an option, brick pavers are way better.
    Not sure how you clean a wooden deck with a paving stone or did I miss your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Not sure how you clean a wooden deck with a paving stone or did I miss your point?
    I've seen references to stones being used to clean steps and floors. And my Mother told me her family used sand
    to scrub floors. Having a finish on floors is a pretty modern thing.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-10-2020 at 3:54 AM.

Holystones are what was used to clean and polish a ships deck. Not fun work in my experience.

Blog Entries
    I have an old Trex deck, the kind that is prone to mildew. It needs more than power washing. I have tried several products. The best one so far seems to be 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner. The primary ingredient? Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) along with some "proprietary" ingredients. Probably cheaper to just use pool chlorine. I do power wash it first. Ooh, post #4000. Whoda thunk...
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-10-2020 at 8:58 AM.
    NOW you tell me...