Thread: Pecan Waffles, With Strawberries and Wipped Cream

Pecan Waffles, With Strawberries and Wipped Cream

Tomorrow being Saturday means waffles for breakfast. I use "Shotgun Red's" pancake recipe to make my batter. Use buttermilk instead of whole milk. Make it up the night before. Make first two waffles with pecans as usual, with butter and syrup, then third with pecans. Add fresh strawberries and whipped cream to the stack. UM, UM good! Shotgun Red's recipe for pancakes can be found online in his Youtube videos.

Sounds dang good Bruce. Hope you have enough batter for all of us...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

All we need is the address.

Sounds good. Now the test to see where you're from. Are they PEE'cans or peeCons'.

My weekend breakfast is pancakes. I use a mix that also has dried buttermilk powder in it. It is the best I have found. I have not yet been able to duplicate the mix so I continue to buy the premix. I think the buttermilk is the key. I usually put fresh blueberries in the cakes and then top it off with real maple syrup that I buy by the gallon direct from the syrup maker near Lutsen, my. My mouth is watering now

Blog Entries
    I'm more of a blueberry and whipped cream waffle kind of guy. Doesn't sound very manly does it...
    NOW you tell me...

Sounds good. We had buttermilk corn pancakes this morning. I don't know where I got the recipe but it's not complicated. I use it often enough that it's on a card that's usually left on the counter. I make buttermilk by adding vinegar or lemon juice to the regular stuff. I use frozen corn. I make syrup by boilng a pound of brown sugar in a cup of water. The pancakes aren't fancy but they are easy to do and all the ingredients are usually available. Whipped cream and strawberries would have been better and my wife loves pecans (Pee-Cans). I looked for Red's recipe. I only found it on YouTube and there's almost no recipe I'm willing to watch a 12 1/2 minute video for, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 10-03-2020 at 9:01 PM.

Shot Gun Red's Pancake Recipe : Dry ingredients: 1 1/2 cups AP flour, 2 Tbs sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, all mixed well. Liquid ingredients : 1 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk, 2 eggs beaten, 1 tsp vanilla ext., 2 Tbs butter (melted, and cooled to room temp, plus 2 Tbs Carnola oil. Mix liquid ingredients ( except butter/ oil) together. Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Stir till well mixed, then stir in butter/oil. I use the buttermilk, and for the AP flour, used unbleached flour. It gives waffles a "golden color." For buttermilk, I use whole milk, soured with a Tbs of vinegar per cup of milk. If I get a jug of milk that is starting to sour, I go ahead and convert it to buttermilk. No need to cry over sour milk, convert it to buttermilk. By using whole milk, I get the extra butter fat. Your brown sugar is plain white sugar with molasses added.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 10-03-2020 at 8:38 PM.

Thanks, Bruce. Looks like it's going to be waffles Sunday morning. We even have some strawberries in the freezer.

Around here (N Texas) they are Pa-caans . A Pee-can is similar to a spit can but used differently. I have 20 pecan trees on the property, at least another month before harvest. I like to make syrup using a favorite jam/jelly and a little water in the microwave. Now I think it's waffles tomorrow.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barkelew View Post
    .. A Pee-can is similar to a spit can but used differently....
    That's what it means to me, too, but I'm not the one who was born in this part of the country and I know better than to poke fun at her local-isms.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    That's what it means to me, too, but I'm not the one who was born in this part of the country and I know better than to poke fun at her local-isms.

Pecans are native to the south. Northerners think they have the right to call them by another name, because they find word (pee can) offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Pecans are native to the south.....
    We live near where she grew up and she likes to point out where they let her gather pecans off the ground to earn spending money. Very different from the Northern big city I grew up in.