Thread: Camaster computer troubles

Camaster computer troubles

I have a Stinger 2 and Windows 10 Camaster supplied computer, sick of W10, and am considering just formatting the thing, so two issues here:
    first, what other versions of Windows will work?
    second, is it possible to get a copy of job control after that, I have a disc for Vcarve Pro.
    Trotec Speedy 400/80
    Camaster Stinger II CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Boatner View Post
    I have a Stinger 2 and Windows 10 Camaster supplied computer, sick of W10, and am considering just formatting the thing, so two issues here:
    first, what other versions of Windows will work?
    second, is it possible to get a copy of job control after that, I have a disc for Vcarve Pro.
    What problems are you having? My Win10 Machine supplied with my Stinger II has been uber-stable...and I keep Windows updated weekly. If it's being problematic, speak with Camaster support and if necessary, the folks at WinCNC as they provided the computer turn-key and Camaster provided the WinCNC configuration. (the download from WinCNC is plain vanilla)

To your specific question, Win10 is currently preferential, but Win7 could also be potentially used. But talk with support before you "go nuclear"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As Jim says what is it doing or not doing? Are you on the Camaster forum? Lot's of knowledge there too. Without specifics it's very difficult to offer any constructive input. Just to be clear I'm no expert here. But I read a lot of the comments of those who are. Makes me feel smarter at least.....

My Camaster instructions warn against reformatting as some of their programming will be lost in the process and you will be $ responsible for them reprogramming. I suggest talking to Camaster before doing anything drastic. I just got my new router from CAmaster and the computer is having problems....will not operate beyond the CAmaster logo page....I intend to call them up tomorrow to get some help.

Bob, shut everything down, open up the case and reseat the WinCNC card (and RAM) in the computer. These things very often get loose during shipping...it's a VERY common issue. Check all the connections, etc., in the controller cabinet for the same just for prudence.
    --

Scott did you get this resolved? If yes or no let us know the details please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Bob, shut everything down, open up the case and reseat the WinCNC card (and RAM) in the computer. These things very often get loose during shipping...it's a VERY common issue. Check all the connections, etc., in the controller cabinet for the same just for prudence.

Thanks Jim, Finally figured it out. The computer/monitor came with two cables to connect from the computer to monitor. Having not assembled a computer in many years, I thought perhaps both were necessary....hooked them both up, which created the problem. Camaster's technical support finally realized the problem as another customer had the same problem. Their current suppliers of computers is sending two cables with the monitors, apparently making it easier to hook up alternative monitors. Assemble instructions not yet updated to reflect supplier change.

Ahhh....glad you figured it out. Use the DVI cable. That said, if you are going to use the computer for more than just controlling the machine, consider a monitor upgrade. The 19" screen supplied with the WinCNC computer is only straight HD (1920x1080) and is not great for doing "real work". I upgraded mine to a 25" Dell monitor with 2560x1440 resolution so that when I do need to fix something or do a quick design in my shop, I can actually see what I'm doing. (I normally do my design/initial toolpathing here in the house in my office on my Macbook Pro (Windows virtualized) where I have the 27" version of that same Dell monitor.
    --