Thread: Moving a SawStop

Moving a SawStop

I'm moving to a new home soon and will use a local moving company to do the big items. It is a short distance move (12 miles) so there shouldn't be any major concerns but I want to see if anyone has advice on how much the saw should be disassembled before the move. I will remove all the moveable items of course; fence, blade, etc. Should I remove the composite table extension and rails or just leave them in place. Knowing moving companies, I am reluctant to give them any opportunities to damage something. It is on the standard PCS mobile base.

I would remove the rails, this gets it down to cube.
    Good luck
    Ron

Maybe the side part of the top too - although it is heavy to do yourself.

I'd be inclined to remove the table extensions and rails. The biggest argument for not doing so is to avoid having to align them again, but you can be pretty sure the movers will lift the saw by the table, so chances are pretty good you're going to have to realign anyway.... Plus it will reduce the weight a lot.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You might want to consider renting a truck with a lift gate and moving the saw yourself. You could just wheel it to the truck, raise it up, then wheel it in the truck. You could move any of your mobile equipment that way. I suspect you would save money. The mover will charge you more to move this stuff than the truck would cost. Also, the mover won't understand that this is YOUR WOODWORKING EQUIPMENT. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Remove the guard, fence rails & both side extensions. Your movers will thank you & there's way less chance of damage. It's a trivial job to put them back on, especially if you have a second set of hands to help. Leave the blade on, it's the safest place for it.

When I moved a couple years ago, I broke mine down to the basic cube, but that was because it was coming out of the basement and there was no way that could happen unless it was at its smallest dimensions. If it's going from garage to garage, then maybe the mobile base would be good enough to get it in and out of the truck. But if it's going up and down stairs, I'd think you'd want to break it down.
    Dan

Every time I've moved my saw I've broken it down to pretty much the same as when it was originally shipped. You're going to have to setup again anyway, might as well make moving it around easier.. and, yea it removes the temptation to lift by the extensions etc
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

In any move, things that can be ripped off and damaged will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kepley View Post
    You might want to consider renting a truck with a lift gate and moving the saw yourself. You could just wheel it to the truck, raise it up, then wheel it in the truck. You could move any of your mobile equipment that way. I suspect you would save money. The mover will charge you more to move this stuff than the truck would cost. Also, the mover won't understand that this is YOUR WOODWORKING EQUIPMENT. Good luck.
    I agree with Jay. I bought my Sawstop locally where it was setup as a demo. They loaded it onto a low trailer with a ramp and drove about a dozen miles to my house. Backed into my driveway and rolled it down the ramp into my garage. Took moments on its mobile base. They delivered it complete with 52” rails, extension table and fence in place. Perfect condition.
    I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that method for a long haul on the highway but it worked fine across town. I have used a moving company to move other tools across the country and they arrived intact as well. The moving company insisted on them being inspected beforehand to gauge their serviceability and condition which was an extra fee.
    Good luck with the move!

I moved a Sawstop PCS by myself by removing the rails and non-metallic parts of the table. I used an appliance dolly (the kind with a strap) and rented a Uhaul trailer with a ramp. It wasn't too bad. I've also done this with an older Unisaw, same story. If it's too heavy you can remove one or both cast iron wings. The moving dolly REALLY helps.

Blog Entries
    I also broke mine down to just a saw body. Fence rails wings and motor cover were all removed as were the hand wheels. This really left very little for someone to screw up on. Got it moved trouble free.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If I wasn't 79 years old and had some young helpers I would go this way but given everything, it just won't work for me. I moved my shops by myself until I was about 67 and after that it becomes a job for others. I'll likely tear it all the way down and reassemble it after the move.