Thread: Strange Question: Replacing Batteries in a Harbor Freight flashlight?

Strange Question: Replacing Batteries in a Harbor Freight flashlight?

Bizarre question, to which I've always wanted an answer:

You see these little flashlights everywhere you go. Love them. Very bright and handy. However, whenever I change the batteries with exact replacements, the flashlight no longer works.

Do they intentionally design these flashlights so you can't replace the batteries and have to buy a new? I must have tried this a dozen times over the years. Is there some trick to it?
    Resized HF Flashlights.jpg
    Thank you.

I don't understand why the battery replacement d/n work for you. I've changed batteries in dozens and dozens of them over the past 10 years. I try to get the supercheap batteries from Harbor Fright when they are free. Otherwise you can get 20 for about $4 or $5.

Polarity is important. Polarity of both the batteries and the battery pack is important. The positive terminal on the battery goes to the flat metal part on the bat. pack and the spring touches the negative. The battery pack is inserted so the positive goes to the front of the flashlight. If you stare at it, you will probably find a + and a - on the battery pack.

But, if you leave that batts in that are dead too long, they'll make the metal connectors on the batt pack corrode. Also oxidation of the aluminum at the screwed-on switch will occur and make the FL intermittant.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I don't understand why the battery replacement d/n work for you. I've changed batteries in dozens and dozens of them over the past 10 years. I try to get the supercheap batteries from Harbor Fright when they are free. Otherwise you can get 20 for about $4 or $5.

Polarity is important. Polarity of both the batteries and the battery pack is important. The positive terminal on the battery goes to the flat metal part on the bat. pack and the spring touches the negative. The battery pack is inserted so the positive goes to the front of the flashlight. If you stare at it, you will probably find a + and a - on the battery pack.

But, if you leave that batts in that are dead too long, they'll make the metal connectors on the batt pack corrode. Also oxidation of the aluminum at the screwed-on switch will occur and make the FL intermittant.
    Brice, thanks. I've tried over and over again, check the polarity, put brand-new Duracells in -- same result. I'll try again. I just don't get it.

Thanks,
    Scott

All I know is dropping them breaks them ...even though I never SEE a break . Guess I can't catch a break

I won't use HF batteries any more after trying to figure out mysterious black stains on our coffee table, turns out the HF batteries leaked in one of our remote controls and the plastic on the remote stained the wood, the batteries weren't too old.

I have nothing from HF but those looks just like dozens of other similar cheap lights. I have never had one not work after changing the batteries.

Debug in steps with a multimeter:
    - Check the voltage on all three AAA batteries, should be about 1.5 volts for alkaline batteries
    - Insert the batteries in the pack - note that two should go one way and one the other.
    (It's hard to read the polarity on most of these holders so just put the spring side in the holder on the the negative side of each battery.)
    - Measure the voltage of the battery pack, should be around 4.5 volts. If not, check each contact point for corrosion and tight spring.
    - Insert the battery pack. All I've seen were positive side (with the bump) down towards the bulb. Screw on the base containing the switch.

If the pressing the switch doesn't cause the light to work, check
    - the polarity of the pack - try putting it in the other way.
    - the length of the spring at the switch, stretch if needed.
    - use the multimeter continuity function to check the switch.
    - check for corrosion on all contact points. I like to put a smear of dielectric grease on every electrical contact point including the batteries.
    - let someone else take a look.

For a huge upgrade, consider the Fenix LD-22. I've had dozens of different types of small lights and the LD-22 is my all-time favorite. According to my Amazon order list I've bought 10 of these so far. I keep one in each car, in the bedroom, several in the shop, several in the house. With compact size, easy grip, water proof, four levels of brightness, a sensible dual-switch UI, standard AA batteries, and no idiotic flashing modes you have to click through it is the light I reach for for working on details and walking around the farm at night. The brightest mode is almost as good as a spotlight for checking the fields at night; the dimmest mode is more than enough to navigate even through the woods. Great for presents. I always have a spare on the shelf, new in the box, just in case.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Bizarre question, to which I've always wanted an answer:

You see these little flashlights everywhere you go. Love them. Very bright and handy. However, whenever I change the batteries with exact replacements, the flashlight no longer works.

Do they intentionally design these flashlights so you can't replace the batteries and have to buy a new? I must have tried this a dozen times over the years. Is there some trick to it?
    Resized HF Flashlights.jpg
    Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I have two similar flashlights and one has a flakey switch that tends to pop out of place when you open the light to replace the batteries. It stays out of place until you intentionally realign it after replacing the batteries.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think it is possible to install the battery pack in reverse. A led only works in one polarity not the other way round. A bulb does not care about polarity.
    Bill D

Have replaced them dozens of times as I have them everywhere..
    On some of them, something does not always make contact and a tap on it will make it come on...
    Possibly the switch that Lee mentioned...
    Almost always use the cheap batteries from HF except in cars where they only get used occasionally I use either Duracell or Everyready..

Battery holder must be placed in the correct direction as mentioned by Bill...

As usual, you guys are terrific. Appreciate all the thoughts. I'm gonna do a controlled experiment sometime this week, two or three flashlights side by side, with one guaranteed workng and the polarity correct, and will report back.

ON BATTERIES: I don't mind spending the extra on Duracells, which I usually get from Costco. Also, I suspect their private label Kirkland batteries are made by DC too.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Having to use bright LED lights in my previous work I got hooked on researching and testing lights in the 900 to 1500 lumen range instead of the typical 100 to 400 https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight-Reviews

Your local Walmart now sells a EverReady LED light for $2.50, which includes batteries (not alkaline.) Usually they located near check outs in a free standing display. . You can also buy same flashlight in a blister pack for about five bucks. They make the HF ones look like a candle in terms of brightness. I bought enough for each vehicle, plus two in the house,and one in the shop. They are slim enough, I can hold one in my mouth, so as to have both hands free.