Thread: Question on post design for a mission style bed

Question on post design for a mission style bed

Planning on building a bedroom set out of quartersawn oak. Post will be square design with a little large piece of square wood on top of the post and a cove moulding underneath this top piece to help the transition. I am thinking about using a bull nose molding a little ways below this around the post to add interest. I also thought of routing a rounded recess using a round nose bit into the post instead of the bull nose molding. Curious what you think of either choice the bull nose moulding or the routed round nose design which would look better?

Thanks.
    Brian
    Brian

Hey Brian - I assume you're thinking of something like this:
    2020-10-04_08h50_14.jpg

I would forgo the bull nose or route on the post. For me, anything added that was round would just not fit - if anything, I would add a thin applied strip below the cap assembly, or route a thin, shallow grove around the post below the cap. Just my 2 cents.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Hey Brian - I assume you're thinking of something like this:
    2020-10-04_08h50_14.jpg

I would forgo the bull nose or route on the post. For me, anything added that was round would just not fit - if anything, I would add a thin applied strip below the cap assembly, or route a thin, shallow grove around the post below the cap. Just my 2 cents.
    Bill, thanks for the info. what moulding is below the cap? Looks different from a std cove moulding. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Brian - not sure what was used - I posted that pic to make sure I understood what you were talking about - but it looks like some kind of panel moulding. Page thru some of the online moulding suppliers for ideas. 3 that I have bookmarked are:

New Mouldings

Distinctive Wood Designs

Factory Outlet Wood Mouldings

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Brian - not sure what was used - I posted that pic to make sure I understood what you were talking about - but it looks like some kind of panel moulding. Page thru some of the online moulding suppliers for ideas. 3 that I have bookmarked are:

New Mouldings

Distinctive Wood Designs

Factory Outlet Wood Mouldings

thanks.

Brian
    Brian

I tend to prefer no post, like this design:

DDEBAD27-3C82-4237-802B-CF103001E3D9.jpeg

However, if the design is for posts I prefer a simple 45 degree molding, or cove molding. I also like when it is mirrored on the bottom of the post.

35835A7F-6262-4F38-A6E9-1F3371091BE6.jpg 194FB822-EB75-4F7D-9996-6DD1AAFD6532.jpeg