Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is a good place to find all the possible fittings for dust collection?

Where is a good place to find all the possible fittings for dust collection?

What I'm looking for is a Y pipe connector that's 4" on all 3 ends. But what I want would be a upper case "Y", not a lower case "y" that I can connect flexible hose to. I have found a steel dryer vent pipe that might work but I would have to buy it and then confirm that it will. What I would like is a page with every fitting a company makes. It seams like most retailers only sell one of a limited number of brands. I assume that there's a company in China just spitting this stuff out and multiple places just putting in a bag with their name on it. Is there one or two companies that just seam to have more different style fittings than most?

Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 10-01-2020 at 2:33 PM.

I use 5 inch metal pipe which is less common than 4 or 6. I have been able to get wyes from "sheet metal kid" in oregon.

I've never seen a true Y shape before.. good luck!

The closest thing I could find is this triple-Y at woodcraft. You could cap off the middle branch.

I second the recommendation of The Blastgate Company.* I also recommend calling them rather than relying on their web page. In designing my ductwork, I wanted to use a 'Lateral Double Wye Branch' (that's a straight pipe with two 45 degree branches coming off either side). They showed such a fitting for their 'Clamp Together' ductwork, but not for their spiral pipe ductwork. When I called to place my order, I told them I would need two 45 degree fittings, one right after the other, so I could run one 4" line to my miter saw and another 4" line to the opposite side of the shop for my lathe. The salesperson asked, "Why don't we just use a Lateral Double Wye Branch?" I told him they had one for the clamp together ducts but not the spiral pipe. He said, "We can just make one." Which they did, for less than the two 45's would have cost. They also flared some of the other fittings I bought so I wouldn't need some of the connectors I thought I'd need.

My point is, they do this for a living. They can help you solve your ducting issues with solutions you may not even know exist.

*I'm sure the other firm is good, too. I've just never used them so I cannot make a personal endorsement.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I have purchased a good bit of pipe and other miscellaneous items from Grizzly. They have plastic and metal DC piping.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I was hoping to find it in plastic but it looks like that's not going to happen. I was also hoping not to use the triple Y. My dust collector has a 6" to 4" y connector on it, two short pieces of clear pipe and then blast gates. That way I can connect it up to the table saw and jointer and just open and close the gates depending on which I'm using. Other times I leave them both open. But when I do have one blast gate closed the short leg of hose between the gate and the dust collector collects a lot of shavings. You can see the turbulence it creates.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. What I was trying to do was get equal flow from both legs. It's mainly for my spindle sander. I have 4" pipe that I stick to the table with a magnet to suck the dust. It works very well but I was thinking of adding a second (one in each rear corner) to see if it helps. There's not a lot of dust but I keep the pipe well out of the way so having a second pipe, even if it's splitting up the flow, may work even better. It would also be for my 20" sanding disc on my lathe. That produces a fair bit of dust. I'm looking for a way to improve it's dust collection.

For metal try Kencraft.

For sheet metal, I’d run into Homans Assoc, ave D, Williston. They are an HVAC supply house and an old Acct of mine. Also, try Blodgett and FW Webb. I have found DC fittings to be frustrating as all get out, as the plastic manuf run a different spec than sch40. I would suggest spending time to get your “transition” fittings/connections at both ends and standardize between. If you run into a counterman who won’t co-operate get to the branch Mgr and explain your needs. It has been 10 yrs, so I don’t know who is who there any longer.

It'll probably cost you less money to buy a wye and add a 45 coupler than to buy a Y.

Alex, your comment about the 6 x 4 x 4 fitting on your dust collector reminds me of my system. I have the 2HP Jet short cyclone which comes with the same Y. I just put in a 6" Schedule 20 PVC piping system and have sort of a similar situation at my lathe where I have two 4" hoods in use at the same time. In that area I used Clearvue's 6 x 4 x 4 gateless splitter.

So I guess what I'm suggesting is to run 6" PVC for your main line and to then comes off of it with 4"s as needed. This is of course assuming that your dust collector is powerful enough to keep the 6" pipe clear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I've never seen a true Y shape before.. good luck!

The closest thing I could find is this triple-Y at woodcraft. You could cap off the middle branch.

It could be a matter of search terms. "Pant" wye (or "Y") stems from the wye looking like a pair of pants if it is positioned with the single port up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It could be a matter of search terms. "Pant" wye (or "Y") stems from the wye looking like a pair of pants if it is positioned with the single port up.
    Mr. Bradley's search term popped this to the top:
    https://pvcpipesupplies.com/4-true-w...waAkHvEALw_wcB

Way up in the nose-bleed section of 'pricey', but hey .... it's for the shop!

Or, looking at the link's construction, maybe you could cut up other fittings and weld (glue?) your own..??
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-03-2020 at 12:06 PM.

I'm thinking of just making one out of exhaust pipe. A few cuts and a little welding and it'll be done.

" Pant's " wye's are out there . Try KenCraft .