Thread: Back to back entry door panels

Back to back entry door panels

I am making mahogany entry door panels that will be two three quarter inch raised panels back to back in a half inch dado. I know not to glue the panels back to back, so what barrier is used between the panels if any? I have hear of guys using quarter inch foam, but that takes away from my half inch tongue thickness. how about rosin paper? or is anything really needed?

We made lots of them and never put anything between them. I think the only likely use of "stuffing" would be to make
    proper panel fitting easier. You do have to be careful with the fit.

I use aluminum foil as a vapor barrier, spray bonded to the inner panel. No reason you couldn't use closed cell foam if you had room for it.

John

I've done this with nothing, with flooring underlay foam and with 1/2" rigid foam.

I think rosin paper sounds like a good idea. Tack glue it to one side so it doesn't slip into the groove during glue-up. (Don't ask)

My concern with any raised panel entrance door is water getting between the panel and dado from a driving rain. Even if the wood is water resistant, the water can get behind the finish and cause it to lift. With a double panel, the water will wick up between them. I drill a single 1/8" hole up at an angle to drain that dado. Those are on the doors I've sold. Personally, I have steel doors in my house because I don't like rot and I love magnetic weather stripping.

Yeah, you don't need to have water . I was taught to take great care with the panel fit. Had to size the raise to where
    the door parts covered the panel slope about 1/32". Whenever time allowed I let the parts sit over night since the sticking
    will often close up some ,making the dado width a bit more narrow. And most people don't like a flat showing ,it's
    a small thing but it gets noticed.

I have the same concerns, so I use bolection moldings to hold the panels in place instead of trapping the panels in a dado. With moldings you can finish everything separately, and completely, before assembly and you can remove the panels for repair/replacement when needed in the future.

John