Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sander Belt Joint Failure

Climate. When I lived in the San Francisco bay area stuff lasted much longer inside or outside then it does here. We run 20-30 degrees hotter in summer and 10-20 degrees cooler in winter. Storing anything on a shelf when it is 90 degrees inside is very different then when it is a constant 58- 68.
    I think the lives in the desert and his belt storage shelf sits at over 100 degrees for 1/2 the year. In winter he probably lets them freeze. I always heard freezing was bad for glue. Wood glue fails at low temperature something like 150 degrees. Probably easy to reach in the trunk of a car driving home from the sanding belt store or in the USPS truck.
    Bill D

Klingpor one year, 3M three years

Like all of life there is some nonsense involved. I have 3M stroke sander belts over 20 years old in an attic that goes from insanely hot to cold in the winter and non of them blow up.

Ill give as far as a 3 x 21 for my Rockwell sander will get very hot compared to the 6" x 309" stroke sander belts. My stroke sander belts do not blow up, so clearly 20 years ago people could make belts with an insane shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Klingpor one year, 3M three years

Like all of life there is some nonsense involved. I have 3M stroke sander belts over 20 years old in an attic that goes from insanely hot to cold in the winter and non of them blow up.

Ill give as far as a 3 x 21 for my Rockwell sander will get very hot compared to the 6" x 309" stroke sander belts. My stroke sander belts do not blow up, so clearly 20 years ago people could make belts with an insane shelf life.
    I assume that the reason why handheld belt sanders are a problem is the smaller radii that the belts are being flexed around. Also, the shorter lengths translate into more heat.

sometimes the new green stuff.

Green environmental glue and since I was doing production stuff knew that stuff had gone backwards and worn out well before the past stuff.

that was hand sanding paper that was failing early on me sorry a bit different but still a reason that things went backwards at one point
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 10-01-2020 at 3:13 PM.

It's interesting that this doesn't seem to apply to widebelt sander belts. I have several belts that are five, six, seven years old that I run with no problems. I have never had a joint failure on a widebelt sanding belt. I wonder why they can't do the same thing on portable belt sanding belts that they do on widebelts, what ever it is, to make them last.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    It's interesting that this doesn't seem to apply to widebelt sander belts. I have several belts that are five, six, seven years old that I run with no problems. I have never had a joint failure on a widebelt sanding belt. I wonder why they can't do the same thing on portable belt sanding belts that they do on widebelts, what ever it is, to make them last.

Are your wide belt sander belts bi directional, or single direction only? The reason the splice is diagonal is it's not all on the roller at one instant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Are your wide belt sander belts bi directional, or single direction only? The reason the splice is diagonal is it's not all on the roller at one instant.
    I have both. No failures (yet) with either.