Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An older Delta scroll saw ok?

Blog Entries

An older Delta scroll saw ok?

There is an older Delta scroll saw on Craigslist.
    Is this a decent saw, I don't have a model #?
    Is $75 a reasonable price?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis,

Photos or a link to ad would help. I have a Delta 1200 from the late 30s in perfect condition, good old American iron. One caveat: it’s quite different from modern iterations (Hegner, Dewalt, Excalibur, etc.) of the scroll saw, so it really depends on what you intend to use it for. It’s a good price if the saw is in good shape.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 09-30-2020 at 4:34 PM.

The old scroll saws had a powered "arm" at the bottom of the blade. At the top, there was a spring attached to the blade clamp. The bottom "arm" pulled the blade down and the spring pulled it back up. The Delta 1200 that Stephen mentioned above is that kind of saw. Note that most of those older scroll saws do not have a speed control - they have step pulleys to change the speed and that only gives you maybe four speeds. I think some of them only had step adjustments for blade tension, also, rather than continuous tension adjustment like newer design saws.

I don't have any personal experience with that type of saw but other scroll saw users tell me that they experienced higher blade breakage on those setups than on modern two arm scroll saws. Note that no one makes scroll saws in that design any more.

One thing about those old saws is that they are very cheap on the used market. Personally, I'd look for a more modern scroll saw. I checked Craigslist yesterday and there were quite a number of scroll saws for sale at fairly low prices. A scroll saw is not a tool that many woodworkers purchase so they're hard to sell on the used market - and therefore the prices are fairly low.

I just sold an older 18" Hegner (a very good name) scroll saw for $375 and was happy to get that. New, it's about $1,400.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-30-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Okay for what? There is absolutely no comparison between the way old/cheap machines work in comparison to newer styles. Blades changes are tool less on new styles, blade tension is much higher, and almost no vibration on new style machines. Both will cut, but the new styles are high quality and a pleasure to use. With what you provided, I'd have to say it is not okay.

One advantage of the old style is you can remove the upper arm and have infinite depth of cut. Just attach the spring to the ceiling or a tree branch.
    Bill D

What Richard said. I had a very nice 24" Delta from the late 30s which I had tuned up and used occasionally. Then an RBI Hawk showed up on CL at a price too good to pass up. I eventually gave the Delta away.

I have the Delta 40-560 16” inch. It is parallelogram design. It is good for small pieces. I have no idea about prices.

We had an old mom and pop tool shop. Leonard always loved the old stuff but would warn you. If they ever break down parts are an issue. I will usually take my chances for a made in the USA. Something that should be considered in the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    One advantage of the old style is you can remove the upper arm and have infinite depth of cut. Just attach the spring to the ceiling or a tree branch.
    Bill D
    But you'd need an infinitely long saw blade. Do they make those?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Note that most of those older scroll saws do not have a speed control - they have step pulleys to change the speed and that only gives you maybe four speeds. I think some of them only had step adjustments for blade tension, also, rather than continuous tension adjustment like newer design saws.

I don't have any personal experience with that type of saw but other scroll saw users tell me that they experienced higher blade breakage on those setups than on modern two arm scroll saws. Note that no one makes scroll saws in that design any more.

Mike
    As Mike noted, my saw has a step pulley allowing me 4 speed adjustments. I also have an aftermarket foot pedal for speed control. I’ve never had an issue with blade breakage, but I don’t use the ultra thin blades that are used in marquetry.

As I mentioned, it really depends on what you intend to use it for. The older saws are perfectly fine for general use (cutting curves, removing dovetail waste, etc.); for marquetry I’d opt for a more current one.

Btw, if it’s a Delta, Rockwell or Powermatic with the original retirement lamp, the lamp alone is worth at least $75. Add another $50-75 if it’s on an original stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    As Mike noted, my saw has a step pulley allowing me 4 speed adjustments. I also have an aftermarket foot pedal for speed control. I’ve never had an issue with blade breakage, but I don’t use the ultra thin blades that are used in marquetry.

As I mentioned, it really depends on what you intend to use it for. The older saws are perfectly fine for general use (cutting curves, removing dovetail waste, etc.); for marquetry I’d opt for a more current one.

Btw, if it’s a Delta, Rockwell or Powermatic with the original retirement lamp, the lamp alone is worth at least $75. Add another $50-75 if it’s on an original stand.
    Thanks for the value information. I have a 24" Delta with the original light and original stand that I bought cause I always wanted one, but never use it so I am thinking of getting rid of it and saving the space. So if I advertise it for $100 and take $80 perhaps I will get rid of it easily...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Thanks for the value information. I have a 24" Delta with the original light and original stand that I bought cause I always wanted one, but never use it so I am thinking of getting rid of it and saving the space. So if I advertise it for $100 and take $80 perhaps I will get rid of it easily...
    That would be a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    There is an older Delta scroll saw on Craigslist.
    Is this a decent saw, I don't have a model #?
    Is $75 a reasonable price?
    Thanks
    I had an older Delta scroll saw with a stand, actually still have it in the barn loft. I think I paid $25 for it at a yard sale and it was barely worth it - I made a number of things with it but the vibration was horrible due to the way it moved the arm. It also had not been taken care of. I have an Excalibur now and there is no comparison but the price is correspondingly high.

But the Delta may be worth having if you are patient and don't plan to use it a lot it will certainly cut wood, especially thin wood. If you hope to use it a lot, my suggestion is save up for a better saw if possible.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I had an older Delta scroll saw with a stand, actually still have it in the barn loft. I think I paid $25 for it at a yard sale and it was barely worth it - I made a number of things with it but the vibration was horrible due to the way it moved the arm. It also had not been taken care of. I have an Excalibur now and there is no comparison but the price is correspondingly high.

JKJ
    That’s not the 1200 or the other older industrial type Deltas from the ‘30s-‘50s. First the arm is stationary - only the blade moves, from the bottom as Mike noted. They are solid cast iron weighing 100+ pounds. My saw is precisely tuned and can pass the nickel test. With the correct blade it cuts 4/4 hardwood. I guess the only way to evaluate the saw the OP inquired about is with a photo and model #.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    But you'd need an infinitely long saw blade. Do they make those?

Mike

I said depth of cut, not thickness. So you just need a rope long enough to reach the ceiling minus the spring length.
    Bill D