Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An older Delta scroll saw ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I said depth of cut, not thickness. So you just need a rope long enough to reach the ceiling minus the spring length.
    Bill D
    Well if you're talking about the length of the cut, you don't need to attach the spring to the ceiling. It's only when you want to cut thicker wood than can fit under the upper arm that you'd need to remove the upper arm. And then you'd need a longer blade.

Depth of cut, to me, is the thickness of the wood you're going to cut, and that's the only reason for removing the upper arm.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What I meant is if you want to cut a hole in the middle of a 4x8 sheet of plywood the arm may get in the way. Of course you still have to drill a small clearance hole to thread the blade in to start the cut. Same idea is used for selling drill presses with no table. They are designed to hang from the ceiling over a customer supplied table or just a big workpiece.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What I meant is if you want to cut a hole in the middle of a 4x8 sheet of plywood the arm may get in the way. Of course you still have to drill a small clearance hole to thread the blade in to start the cut. Same idea is used for selling drill presses with no table. They are designed to hang from the ceiling over a customer supplied table or just a big workpiece.
    Bil lD
    I don't want to beat this to death, but if you're cutting plywood, wouldn't a jig saw be a better tool?

Mike

[For marquetry, there was a rig for cutting the center of large projects. I think the American School of French Marquetry in San Diego has one. I don't know a lot of the details but it consists of attaching something to the ceiling to drive a cutting blade. They're focused on hand operation so I don't know how the saw is moved.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-01-2020 at 2:05 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    So I bought the Delta scroll saw, it's an SS 350 LS model and ,so far, seems to work ok except for the blower. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
    IMG_20201002_071815.jpg

Thanks
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    So I bought the Delta scroll saw, it's an SS 350 LS model and ,so far, seems to work ok except for the blower. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
    IMG_20201002_071815.jpg

Thanks
    That's really not an old scroll saw - that one is fairly modern. However, taking a look at it on Amazon, it doesn't get the best reviews.

Mike

I had them when I first started teaching Middle School Industrial Arts. They served a purpose but I would not want one with what is out there now. Unless you want it for nostalgia, walk away! My 2 pennies.

I do not think portable jigsaws had been invented yet when those spring scroll saws were being made. You are correct it is a tool that has been replaced by better designs.
    Bill D

On edit; 1947 power jigsaw invented. The spring ones were old fashioned by world war two or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigsaw_(tool)
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-02-2020 at 5:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's really not an old scroll saw - that one is fairly modern. However, taking a look at it on Amazon, it doesn't get the best reviews.

Mike
    Well I used it some today and it seems ok so far. It accepts and holds pinless blades, that was mainly what I was looking for. I know Delta parts aren't available so that's a concern. I only paid $70 for it, if it dies it won't be the first $70 I wasted on tools☺. I put the Ridgid on Craigslist for $75, I don't expect people to be beating down my doors for it.
    Dennis