Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rose Head Cut Nails

On the topic of burning down buildings to get nails. My grandfather would never through anything away at his business whether it was good or not, he always had this reasoning, that it was still good to someone. He basically built and started his business on buying, sorting and selling, excess lots of products from ww2, Vietnam, business closures, etc. Seems like quite a few people I've met from older generations have a hard time throwing stuff out. It's weird to think of a time when items we're so hard to come by.

Not necessarily that items were all hard to come by, but very definitely the fact that labor was cheaper than goods drove folks to doing lots of recovery, repair and re purposing of stuff instead of buying new. I think the turnover started happening maybe around the 1960's - 1970's or so. I remember working with an uncle on building a back patio cover or porch for a lady when I was a teenager. When we showed up for the second day of work, she and her daughter had picked up all of the nails we pulled from the older structure (plus what we bent when driving and discarded) the evening before and straightened them all out and gave them to use for use so we could save her money on the job. My uncle told her he would knock off on the price of the job and told me not to let them see us not using the nails. Even then I knew that straightened nails don't work near as good as new nails and that nails were cheap. My grandparents surely, and parents to an extent, never fully recovered from the effects of the Great Depression.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Culotta View Post
    This happened to pop up today on the FWW blog - has some pilot hole rules of thumb. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/09/30/on-nails

Trying it out on a test piece still seems to be critical though.

Thanks for the link. In previous articles/books I've seen mentioned "match the tip size to the bit" and I've never been able to get that to work. In this post it clearly shows matching the bit to not just the very tip of the nail's width, but further up the nail. Hopefully this will help with splitting going forward for me.