Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rose Head Cut Nails

Rose Head Cut Nails

On my last project I used butt joints and cut nails for the joinery. While I do not use nails often, cut nails really do work well. Anyway someone asked about the cut nails. Here is a photo of the rose head nails I use:

cutNails.jpg

If you haven't used nails on a project you should try them. They are not for all joinery but for some projects they are pretty neat.

ken

Ken,
    How about posting a picture of the project you used them on?

Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Ken,
    How about posting a picture of the project you used them on?

Thanks!
    Mike
    Sure Mike,

You can see the progress on the "Kitchen Trash Can" thread but here is a photo of the trash can in the short rows:

kitchenTrashWithTopTrim.jpg

ken

Two things about about cut nails 1) they hold very, very well, 2) - they are much more likely to split the material than modern wire type nails if you do not pre drill correct-sized holes for them and are not used to using them. Practice on project-specific drop offs before jumping in on the show side of your box or case that you are using them on.
    David

Blog Entries
    Cut or wrought nails worked fine for me when making five and six board benches:

Bench Open.jpg

This is a six board bench.

The holes were pre-drilled using a template for location and notes about the hole size. The nails were barbed for better holding:

Barbed Wrought Nail.jpg

A cold chisel was used to make the barbs.

Where a regular nail looks a bit tacky, a cut nail can be a decorative addition.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Using cut nails on a clock

I used some headed cut nails on this clock. Top is just as tight on the case as the day I drove them in. This was in walnut so these did require pre-drilling in order to prevent splitting. Added a pic of the finished clock.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post

That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!

I really like these nails. I've used them on a couple Japanese style tool boxes. I purchased a selection of Rivierre Nail sample packs from Lie Nielsen as well as a few packs of Tremont cut nails from Lee Valley. I'm planning a pine pie safe project in a Country meets Shaker style and will use these to secure the joinery.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Two things about about cut nails 1) they hold very, very well, 2) - they are much more likely to split the material than modern wire type nails if you do not pre drill correct-sized holes for them and are not used to using them. Practice on project-specific drop offs before jumping in on the show side of your box or case that you are using them on.
    It's also important that they are oriented properly with the wedge of the nail running with the grain. Andrew Hunter has a nice piece on the use of cut nails and nailed joinery in FWW #263-Sep/Oct 2017
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!
    Ron,

I agree with Chris, beautiful. I would love to have a piece like it in my house.

It could happen, I've a very wide hunk of 4/4 Walnut that I've been moving around the shop for a couple or three years. It is too pretty to use on just anything but too small for most projects and I've resisted cutting it up for trim.

ken

Clocks! Clocks! Clocks!
    David

David,

Remind 'em, most important, the thick side goes with the grain, not cross grain. I know so fundamental folks shouldn't need reminding but "stuff" happens.

ken

Two things about about cut nails . . . they are much more likely to split the material than modern wire type nails if you do not pre drill correct-sized holes for them and are not used to using them.
    David, I've used them a couple of times and never figured out what to base the pilot-hole size to since they are tapered and rectangular. Is there a rule of thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Cut or wrought nails worked fine for me when making five and six board benches:

Bench Open.jpg

This is a six board bench.

jtk
    Jim,
    What is a board bench? Looks interesting.

Mike

This happened to pop up today on the FWW blog - has some pilot hole rules of thumb. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/09/30/on-nails

Trying it out on a test piece still seems to be critical though.