Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is old too old? 2004 Shopbot PRT

Most of my experience is with production-level routers. What I see is that while the frame and components can still be sturdy, the MRO costs become more frequent and more expensive: Spindle replacement, limiter stops, etc. Also, the software just becomes obsolete. I view routers like edgebanders: You should plan no more than a 10-year life cycle and perhaps 2/3rds that if you run it hard. Though many folks limp their machines on for longer. Just my observations.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

2. That may be true..Production environment is defintely not same as home or small business use

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy sanderson View Post
    Wrong...older machines are way more reliable and will outlast all the cheap china junk made today . The singer sewing machine will last 100yrs or more the chinese seiko sewing will last maybe 1-10yrs if u lucky and stop working due to mechanical or electr failure...which is common in modern made chinese products..

That's like comparing a USA made model T to a Nissan Acura. And by the way, my Seiko is made in Japan - world of difference from China stuff.
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 11-20-2021 at 1:09 AM.

4. Thats your opinion

If it works for u thats great...but when the chinese ..tawain..india..or wherever it was made. product fails after couple years dont go running back to your vintage reliable singer....go buy another chinese machine

)
    Last edited by jeremy sanderson; 11-19-2021 at 5:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy sanderson View Post
    Thats your opinion

If it works for u thats great...but when the chinese ..tawain..india..or wherever it was made. product fails after couple years dont go running back to your vintage reliable singer....go buy another chinese machine

)

That "vintage" Singer was a POC. That's why I got rid of it. Go USA!!

6. I love my cast steel 100yr old singer
    It will outlast anything made today...its a workhorse.

7. Jeremy I have one of these shopbot prt and the controller is toast and I need to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Walter, I rebuilt an old ShopBot PRT for our local high school a few years ago. I ordered a new control box, it was a snap to install and the upgrade was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter stewart View Post
    Jeremy I have one of these shopbot prt and the controller is toast and I need to upgrade. Any suggestions?
    If you wish to continue using the ShopBot Control Software, then your options are finding a used controller or purchase a new unit from ShopBot.

If you are open to other controllers there are a number of options out there that you can purchase complete or build yourself. I design a number of SB replacement controllers based on the Centroid Acorn Controller that are built, sold and supported by very knowledgeable former SB users. We're pretty proud of them and they have features above and beyond what has ever been offered for the PRT. Look over the attached comparison chart.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC