Thread: Need coupler for 2 plastic fittings

Need coupler for 2 plastic fittings

Just in case someone knows the answer offhand, I'd like to save an afternoon of trial fittings at a supply house...

I want to connect two 4" plastic fittings (without using a short piece of hose and two hose clamps). In this case, I'm connecting a wye to a 4-3" reducer.

Is there commonly available pipe size that can couple these (4" I.D.)? If there's something close but slightly loose, I'll fill it with caulk.

Maybe I'm confused but why not a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    Just in case someone knows the answer offhand, I'd like to save an afternoon of trial fittings at a supply house...

I want to connect two 4" plastic fittings (without using a short piece of hose and two hose clamps). In this case, I'm connecting a wye to a 4-3" reducer.

Is there commonly available pipe size that can couple these (4" I.D.)? If there's something close but slightly loose, I'll fill it with caulk.
    I don't know what's available commercially, but when I couldn't quickly locate couplers I needed for my dust collection I made them from PVC pipe starting with a ring cut from piece of pipe. If the diameter needed was slightly smaller than the pipe, I stood the ring on the bandsaw table and cut a slice from the ring calculated to give the needed circumference, then glued the ring in place to make the coupler. I often used short sheet metal screws to hold joints together, for example clear plastic to PVC. Don't know if something like this would work for your type of plastic.

If these are regular PVC/ABS plumbing type products a short piece of pipe from the same series/designation for the fittings should work just fine. If these are those pre-made "dust collection" fittings from a woodworking store...well...not really standard stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim answered Sam's question, "4-inch" dust collection fittings are about 3 7/8". The closest I have in the barn is sewer and drain, which it 3-15/16". Unless someone knows of a 3-7/8" pipe, I'll use this, or I'll see if I have something the right size to try John's idea.

I. remember the tall pineapple cans are a good slip fit into 4" pvc foam core pipe.
    Bill D

All fixed with sewer & drain pipe, screws, and caulk; however, I won't post any pictures of this masterpiece.

For PVC, heat up a piece of pipe and squish it down to the right size - or expand it with a tapered jig. A hotplate and a pot filled with antifreeze solution works well. Can also use a heat gun but that takes more skill to heat the pipe evenly. Wear hear resistant gloves, preferably water proof. Professional results.