Thread: WTB - 1/2” corded drill

WTB - 1/2” corded drill

Anyone have one they don’t need? I don’t need a super heavy duty - just one for some shop woodworking tasks that require larger bits than my 3/8” will handle. Thanks!

Left click my name for homepage link.

John,
    I've got an old (1999??) Makita 6302. Haven't used it in a few years--but just plugged it in and seemed to run fine. Will e-mail a few pics shortly, they will show a chip in the housing--son dropped when we were building a bike ramp about 20 years ago. Will send it if you can use, and we can probably work out a trade.
    earl

When I bought mine I wished I had gotten the one with hammer drill mode, the one with hammer mode actually cost less. Makes setting masonry anchors a breeze.

Earl has filled the bill!! Bruce, I use a drill for limited purposes in my woodworking. The 3/8” I have works well 99% of the time, but there are those times I need to use a larger bit that does not have a 3/8” shank.

John--just e-mailed you the message below. To the rest of the board--John will still be looking for a 1/2" drill, unless he changes his mind.

Bad news--you're back on the hunt. When i put the drill in a box, the chuck fell into the box--the spindle just broke!! Replacement is available, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to remove the threaded spindle end from the chuck. Ereplacementparts notes that the newer spindle has no retaining screw because the older version tended to break. On the plus side--i'm glad it happened now instead of once you got it.
    My apologies--i just stood there looking at it for a minute, no impact had occurred--it just literally split. Darndest thing i've ever seen!!
    At least i'll have a new experience in tool repair--and i'll keep it in the family.
    earl

Mine is not for sale, but my +/- 1996 Milwaukee with 1/2 chuck will probably last me the rest of my life. I don't know about the new stuff, and like the OP I use 3/8 chuck 99% of the time.

Started this post yesterday, decided someone else might have more useful info - but they haven't posted it yet. If my 1/2" Milwaukee got stolen tomorrow I would start by internet searching current production v- vintage Milwaukee and go from there. My circa 1996 has little screws and covers on each side so the motor brushes are essentially field replaceable.

I have been buying mostly DeWalt corded tools for the last three years or so based on internet reviews, and been uniformly satisfied with them; though I haven't needed to replace my 1/2" chuck Milwaukee.

Hope this helps.

Scott, thanks for the observations! Much of my research confirms your experiences.

John, I have a Bosch drill/hammer drill that is excess to my needs. Shoot me your address, and I will get it packaged up and sent off to You.
    Joe

Joe, I really appreciate the offer, but for what I do I need variable speed for a slow start and I am afraid the hammer drill would not be conducive to precision drilling in my woodworking. I have an offer in on a DeWalt on eBay and we will see what happens. Thanks, again.

John, this drill is variable and can switch from hammer drill to regular drilling mode.
    Joe

Joe, sent you a PM. Thanks!