Thread: Best Fence for a J.A. Fray & Egan Co 511B table saw

Best Fence for a J.A. Fray & Egan Co 511B table saw

All,
    Looking for recommendations on a fence for a J.A. Fray & Egan Co 511B table saw. I am looking at buying one and want to figure out the best fence that would be compatible so I can price that before I pull the trigger on the saw and the 3 phase power upgrades? Does anyone have one of these saws, if so what type of fence are you using? Any other general thoughts or recommendations on what I should look for or stay away from? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Tremper View Post
    All,
    Looking for recommendations on a fence for a J.A. Fray & Egan Co 511B table saw. I am looking at buying one and want to figure out the best fence that would be compatible so I can price that before I pull the trigger on the saw and the 3 phase power upgrades? Does anyone have one of these saws, if so what type of fence are you using? Any other general thoughts or recommendations on what I should look for or stay away from? Thanks in advance!
    I don't have one, but I'm familiar with the saw. I'll assume the factory fence is long gone or you wouldn't be asking this question.

As you're well aware, it's not a Unisaw-esque cabinet saw. The table on these is deeper than the back rail on most biesemeyer fences, but that doesn't mean you can't improvise. Throw a filler strip on the right hand miter slot and let the fence run across the table surface if needed. As far as compatibility, you'll likely end up drilling holes in something to make it work. Whether it's the table edge or the fence rails is your call. Both are easy to work with.

On my Crescent, I'd planned to chuck the stock fence and put a VSCT fence on it with the filler strip mentioned above, but a year later, the factory fence is still on there and it still cuts wood, so... best laid plans of mice and men?

Long story short, that's a great saw, so pick up a good sturdy fence, a phase converter, and get it running!

Matt, I hope you are buying that one that has sat and sat and sat on CL for $500. Not familiar with the saw, but cant go too wrong at that price(or less). I find it hard to believe you cant drill and tap the front of the cast iron table to mount angle iron and bies rails for a VSCT fence or a biesemeyer clone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Matt, I hope you are buying that one that has sat and sat and sat on CL for $500. Not familiar with the saw, but cant go too wrong at that price(or less). I find it hard to believe you cant drill and tap the front of the cast iron table to mount angle iron and bies rails for a VSCT fence or a biesemeyer clone.
    Doesn't the Pittsburgh CL one have a bad motor? And aren't those direct drive..

You just made me search my Craigslist! It’s not often somebody tells me about something in my own market. I didn’t find it though.

The saw I spoke of was on a trailer, I think in good working order, and maybe somewhere in Virginia?