Thread: Help with EM1000 sealer

Help with EM1000 sealer

Hi,

I am looking for some help/info from anyone who has used Target Coatings EM1000 sanding sealer. I have used it a few times on the project I am working on and so far, I have gotten the same results every time I've used it. I am not sure if it is fisheye or if its just how the sealer lays out after I spray it. I will include some pics from the tabletops I sprayed today. While they are real noticeable when wet and drying, they are not so obvious once the sealer is cured.

I have table bases that I used General Finishes Dye stain, with a GF wood stain over the top of it. Once I sprayed the EM1000 on the bases, I got the spots.

The tabletops have GF Dye stain only, but when I sprayed the EM1000, I had the same issue.

So far, to try to resolve the issue, I have cleaned my gun (I only spray waterborne finishes with this gun), and on the bottom side of one of the tabletops, I sprayed a washcoat of shellac before the sealer and still had the same issue.

Can anyone tell me if this is typical of the sealer, or give me some more ideas on possible causes?

Here's some pics...

20200927_182902.jpg20200927_142237.jpg

Thanks!

What kind of GF wood stain? OB? If so, how long did you let it dry? It might take 3 days or more before it's ready to accept a WB product on top. If it was a WB stain then the problem is more likely with the TC sealer. In either case, I would be inclined to use Sealcoat shellac instead of TC's sealer.

Apply your dye and stain. Let dry at least 3 days if OB, then spray a coat of Sealcoat cut 50% with DNA, then proceed with your topcoats.

Unfortunately, I don't see a good remedy for the table tops now except stripping/sanding them and starting over.

You made test specimens, right? I would have thought the problem would have showed up then.

John

The stain is a waterbased stain, left to dry overnight.
    I did do a test board, and it was noticed, but the test board was small enough (~16x8) that it didnt seem to have much effect. The test boards and table bases, once the EM8000CV was applied, the spots were not really noticeable - especially because it has a satin finish. The tabletops, however are quite a bit larger, so the effect is greater.
    I am just kinda wondering if anyone else who has used this product has experienced the same issue.

I use EM1000 and have rarely had what you show happen. The one time I can remember, there was some contamination of the project piece from the Solarez filler I used on that particular item, so I had to level it back, thoroughly clean and then re-apply the EM1000. I use SealCoat over water soluble dye to seal it, however. But I've been using the EM1000 with dye to tint for some of my guitar projects, too, before moving on to the top coat. If you apply your EM8000cv directly over the dye, do you get the same issue? (do test pieces!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Late to the party... I also have had similar problems with EM1000. It seems to be very finicky -- need nearly perfect conditions (temp, humidity) for it to lay flat. But I've also never had any issue flattening it. I've recently decided to stop using EM1000 and go back to sealcoat.