Thread: Nearly Decided on my 1st / 2nd CNC

Nearly Decided on my 1st / 2nd CNC

All -

I am pretty much decided to get a Camaster CNC. However, my question is now size, since I want to get my 2nd CNC first.

I can pretty easily get a Stinger I 2x4 into my basement shop. However, I really want a Stinger II 4x4. However, it i can’t get it into my basement due to door size, so it would have to reside in my half of my unheated/uncooled garage.

Questions:

1. Other than size, is there a build / performance difference between the Stinger I and II?
    2. Is there an issue keeping a Stinger II in a non temperature controlled garage regarding upkeep, maintenance, or operation?

Thanks for your input / advice in advance.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

James, I own a Stinger II SR-44. It's built heavier than the Stinger I, although the latter is pretty heavy compared to most "benchtop CNCs". You are welcome to schedule a time with me to look at my machine to help with your decision...'just need to wear a mask, et al

I do not foresee any issue with locating your machine in the garage as long as you follow normal warm-up procedures and maintenance.

Really...come see mine. I'm happy to give the tour and it's a very nice drive from your location to mine. I can fill you in on my thoughts about what the options are about, too. Some things you don't want to miss up-front because you can't put them in place after the fact without difficulty, if at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would go with the largest cnc you think you might eant because you will always want larger and regret it later. To me you have 2 choices. 1 look at something like the Avid cnc that you assemble. Makes it easy to get into basement and are a pretty good machine. 2. Get the larger camaster and use garage. Probably the better idea just to keep all the dust out of your house. I have a Chinese 4x8 in unconditioned garage. The only thing that I find is in Winter, I just want to do a little warm up with the spindle and jogging the machine around for a few minutes to warm up the grease. It is a pretty minimal exercise. You can create a file that you run at the start of the day that will do it for you.

I went from a desktop to a 4x8 and never regretted it. It is a tight fit but worth every bit of the inconvenience. I would not have been happy with a 4x4.

James,
    One thing to consider is adding the increased gantry height option (or not). Some folks have reported that they did not order this option, but now wish that they had done so. I was originally going to order the Stinger 4x4, but it wouldn't fit thru my door, so I opted for the Avid CNC Router Parts Pro4848 with air cooled spindle. This comes as a kit, so I was able to assemble it "in place". I am very pleased with my choice and 3 years later have no regrets.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    1 look at something like the Avid cnc that you assemble. Makes it easy to get into basement and are a pretty good machine.
    As an additional benefit, the Avid is easily expandable to 4 x 8, 4 x 12, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygND7TFziF8

Adding four feet to cnc rp table.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8v0j6uEJc

Frank H builds cnc rp 4 x 8.jpg

All -

Thanks for the input. I very much appreciate your ideas and experiences.

Jim -

I’d love to come take a tour. Could we look at a date in early November after I’m done with chemo?

All -

Thanks, again.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post

I’d love to come take a tour. Could we look at a date in early November after I’m done with chemo?
    Absolutely...just message me when you're feeling up to it. Best wishes with the treatment. Not a fun thing, I'm sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

CAMaster will build you a Stinger II 3 by 4 foot machine. That's what I have in my shop. Mine also has the CNC Lathe on the right side.
    Another option is a ShopBot since they are bolted together you can easily put a full size ShopBot in a basement.

i had camaster years ago and great cnc but the cold grage will mean not much cnc time when cold or heating grage..... would look at the bolt together option if in your situation.