Thread: Anyone own a Pegas scroll saw-what do you think of it?

Blog Entries

Anyone own a Pegas scroll saw-what do you think of it?

I'm thinking of buying a Pegas scroll saw. It's not cheap, about $800, so I'm wondering if anyone has one and what you think of it?
    Also where do you think would be the best place to buy one?
    Thanks
    Last edited by dennis thompson; 09-27-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Dennis

I think Woodcraft sells them. They look a lot like the Excalibur saws.

Are you a veteran scroll saw user? If not, why not start with a used saw, perhaps a DeWalt. You can get one on Craigslist for a decent price.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think Woodcraft sells them. They look a lot like the Excalibur saws.

Are you a veteran scroll saw user? If not, why not start with a used saw, perhaps a DeWalt. You can get one on Craigslist for a decent price.

Mike
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have had a Ridgid for a couple of years , it's ok but only takes pinned blades
    ( the manual says it holds pinless blades, I've tried many times, the blades slip out every time). The pinless bades allow you to drill a much smaller hole for interior cutouts and complete much smaller and narrower cutouts.
    Dennis

I'm in the process of selling an 18" Hegner for $375 (guy is coming on Tuesday to pick it up). It was made in 1990 but it's a good saw and would be good for your work. But it's sold and we're across the country to make it more difficult.

Scroll saws are not something that every woodworker needs/wants so they don't sell easily (used). Keep your eye out on Craigslist and you can probably make a deal. It seems that many people try scroll sawing but don't stay with it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have one...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have an Excalibur, and the stock blade clamp was always a PITA. Sometimes it slipped, sometimes not. Fiddly to setup, and then you never knew what was going to happen.

I recently bought the newish aftermarket clamps from Pegas. Now we're talking. They're rock solid every time. The only reason I mention it is to suggest you make certain your new saw has them.

I own the DeWalt and it is a great tool.
    I have an early model, Back then they were made in Canada by Excalibur.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dennis, sorry about my original post just saying I have one, as I just wanted to mark the post as I did not have time to post last night. I bought a Pegas last year and it is a great saw. When I was reviewing all the different saws it was down to the Pegas and the Seyco. Both are very similar, some of the differences are the Pegas comes with the Pegas blade holders and can cut at more of an angle if you need the extra angle for cutting bowels and such. Along with the geared cam to adjust the table angels, but the table size is smaller than the Seyco. Were as the Seyco table is larger, also the top is not black which I find a bit annoying. They are both about the same price depending on sales and such. If you like the Idea of the larger table you can upgrade the Pegas for about $170.00. so now you just jumped in price. Also if you get the Seyco you can upgrade to the Pegas heads for about $100.00, so there again your similar in price. If you review some of the scroll saw forums most recommend these two brands for under $1000.00. the two links below are two great sellers with good service as I have used both and they get good reviews. I think you cant go wrong with either saw , but if I could do it again I think I would get the Seyco and just upgrade to the better Pegas heads. Good luck.

Richard

Seyco https://www.seyco.com/

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <>

Denny Knappen Dayton, TN
    Pegas Scroll Saw Blades and Saws online at ArtCrafters
    https://www.artcraftersonline.com/
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Table $137 plus $30 shipping to Mich. / Pegas blade heads 75.00 to 100.00
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Dennis, sorry about my original post just saying I have one, as I just wanted to mark the post as I did not have time to post last night. I bought a Pegas last year and it is a great saw. When I was reviewing all the different saws it was down to the Pegas and the Seyco. Both are very similar, some of the differences are the Pegas comes with the Pegas blade holders and can cut at more of an angle if you need the extra angle for cutting bowels and such. Along with the geared cam to adjust the table angels, but the table size is smaller than the Seyco. Were as the Seyco table is larger, also the top is not black which I find a bit annoying. They are both about the same price depending on sales and such. If you like the Idea of the larger table you can upgrade the Pegas for about $170.00. so now you just jumped in price. Also if you get the Seyco you can upgrade to the Pegas heads for about $100.00, so there again your similar in price. If you review some of the scroll saw forums most recommend these two brands for under $1000.00. the two links below are two great sellers with good service as I have used both and they get good reviews. I think you cant go wrong with either saw , but if I could do it again I think I would get the Seyco and just upgrade to the better Pegas heads. Good luck.

Richard

Seyco https://www.seyco.com/

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <>

Denny Knappen Dayton, TN
    Pegas Scroll Saw Blades and Saws online at ArtCrafters
    https://www.artcraftersonline.com/
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Table $137 plus $30 shipping to Mich. / Pegas blade heads 75.00 to 100.00
    Richard
    Thanks for the info, I emailed Denny Kappen for a price/ info
    Dennis

Purchased the Pegas in November 2019 from Denny. After comparing it to the Seyco, the turning point was the Pegas was not required to me mounted on a stand. Where the stand was a part of the Seyco.
    Wanted the option to use on the bench top.

Blog Entries
    Well after hemming and hawing for weeks I ordered the Pegas today. My wife says she'll give it to me for my birthday next month, which is very nice of her, but all our funds are in one pot, so gifts between the two of us are kind of symbolic. But the Pegas will be a VERY nice symbol!

If anyone needs a Delta or a Ridgid scroll saw I have one of each for sale
    Dennis