Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And one more for now - gun safe on concrete floor in shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    John,
    I think the OP was concerned with moisture rusting the bottom of the safe. I think it's a good idea to put it up on some pieces of acrylic. Just squares at the corners where the bolts are. That should give you plenty of air circulation and provide a moisture barrier where it counts. I would recommend those rubber furniture pucks but the safes are pretty heavy. I like the suggestion about running some bolts or screws into the wall near the top. That would deprive the thieves of the leverage when they try to tip it forward.
    Exactly what I was wondering about. Some good ideas have shown up here. And about bolting the safe to floor or wall, I’m not even sure mine has bolt holes, I’ll have to check. As to dehumidifying - I have a dessicant (sp?) type that sits in the safe, I take it out about every two weeks and plug it in overnight to “recharge” the dessicant material.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Bolting a safe to the floor is truly mandatory but, if you add a spacer between the floor and the bottom of the safe to prevent moisture migration, make sure you consider the thickness of that spacer. If you use hockey pucks, 3/4" or so thick, that is more than enough space for a long blade in a sawzall to get in there and cut through the bolt! Might be difficult to get at all 4 bolts, but once you get two of them, a toe jack can be used to lift one side of the safe and provide better access to the remaining two. To remove this option from uninvited guests, my safe is bolted to the floor with 1" grade 8 bolts and then grouted in place with hydraulic cement used to level heavy machinery, i.e., there in NO space under the safe. There is a new material becoming available for security applications called "Proteus." It is uncuttable by most sawing methods (probably wouldn't survive a cutting torch, though, but then most things wouldn't). I will probably replace the floor bolts on my safe when it becomes available in that form. See: https://newatlas.com/materials/prote...ke-lock-armor/

When we decided to have a second child, I moved my reloading room to the basement, my concern was if my basement flooded so I made a stainless stand to get it up about 4 inches off the floor. It might be "mobile" but anyone that wants to get 650lbs up a set of steps and then out my garage better have a strong back and a lot of time.

Blog Entries
    If you do put it in your garage, make sure it can't easily be seen when you have the door open. I'm assuming you do some woodworking out there and folks wander by when your doors are open. Turn it sideways to the open door so no logo and door is facing that way, put up a wall on the open door side, (not bad idea to make it harder to get to the safe, and make sure to bolt to wall and the floor. I would get some of the harbor freight foam floor mats under the safe. These will squish down and leave no gap for a sawblade or even a prybar. Sheet of ply can be broken out leaving gap to pry up.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I built a 2x4 platform to set my safe on. Basically a box with 2x4's turned edge up, decked with 3/4 cabinet plywood so the bottom of the safe is about 4" off the floor. This is a 900 lb Liberty safe with a Golden Rod dehumidifier, probably 20 years old and stills heats the safe just fine.

Put it on top of a section of "Stall Mat". and through bolt it to the floor.
    A safe will exert much less force per sq/in than a horse's hoof.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-17-2020 at 2:59 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)