Thread: Diemaster bandsaw blades - question

Diemaster bandsaw blades - question

I just ordered and received 3 Diemaster 2 blades from Blade Serpent. I noticed that the 1/2" blade was stamped Diemaster where as the 3/8" and 1/4" blades were not. So the question to Diemaster users is whether you have blades less than 1/2" that are branded? Maybe they don't brand the small blades due to lack of width?

I ask because the the 1/4" blade I received has quite a few patches of rust on the blade and that got me to wondering if I really got Diemaster blades or maybe some lesser off-brand blade stock.

Thanks!

20200924_191245.jpg

They look like Die masters but it’s been a few years. I do recall that Lenox blades are stamped with the logo, etc. pretty plainly but only ever used 1/2” stock. The rust doesn’t look bad. Cutting some throw-away wood should clean it off. Hope this helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have a couple of diemaster II blades that I bought off ebay, old new stock. Just took one off after 4.5 years. Still sharp, just needed one with less tpi. They cut very smoothly but probably due to 10-12 tpi. Don't remember if they were stamped but had old tags on them from Lenox. And had a little rust which was/is a non issue. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

We have a recurring order from them for some resaw blades we use for one specific operation and also pull some other blades in. I had no idea specifically but their CS has always been great but my feeling is they are more of an online supply house of numerous blade brands and while you always want what you ordered you may well get a brought-in band that meets their specs.

We had always ordered from a similar operation that pulled a lot from Morse but I had a serious issue with some Morse blades breaking randomly always at a weld and even with photographs of brand new blades that had snapped in the gullet mid-band, the re-seller wouldnt do anything other than we pay to ship broken blades back for inspection and Morse chooses to replace post inspection.

Never had an issue from blade serpent, but been pulling larger bands for the mill in elsewhere.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 09-26-2020 at 2:40 PM.

Thanks guys. Appreciate your comments about the rust. My bandsaw experience is limited, the only blades I've bought before were from Woodcraft. So seeing the rust was unexpected. I'll mount it up and give it a run.

BTW the transaction experience with Blade Serpent was excellent. Got the blades in 3 days, even with the free shipping. And to my inexperienced eye, the quality of the welds on these blades is incredible. I had to crank the LEDs to high and put on my 3x readers to find the weld points. There is only the very slightest change of tint on the blade surface at the weld point.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 09-26-2020 at 6:08 PM. Reason: Fixin grammar
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I don't ever recall seeing rust on any bandsaw blade I've purchased for my shop, from any supplier. I would consider that unacceptable, whether or not it affects function. I paid for new, not new but neglected. My two cents.

John

I also would not be happy with rust on a new blade, unless it was NOS on eBay or something like that, and was disclosed. I bought a Diemaster about a year ago and used it for a bit but it took a bigger kerf than I liked and it broke at the weld after not too much time had passed, so I went back to Timber Wolf blades.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I don't ever recall seeing rust on any bandsaw blade I've purchased for my shop, from any supplier. I would consider that unacceptable, whether or not it affects function. I paid for new, not new but neglected. My two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I also would not be happy with rust on a new blade, unless it was NOS on eBay or something like that, and was disclosed.
    Well, that was my initial feeling as well. I need that 1/4" blade tomorrow to continue a project that is running behind, so I'm inclined to move ahead with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I bought a Diemaster about a year ago and used it for a bit but it took a bigger kerf than I liked and it broke at the weld after not too much time had passed, so I went back to Timber Wolf blades.
    Interesting. I'm moving away from Timber Wolfs as I've had 2 break at the weld. Figured going to Diemaster was upping my bandsaw game.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I would think that most of the on-line places selling blades just have a large coil. When you place an order they cut and weld it to size. If so the weld breaking and any rust is most likely a problem with the seller. But the places I've ordered from you just enter the length you want down to 1/4" of an inch. It could be even to 1/8".

I just checked my diemaster 2 blades. I have 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 (all .035, lowest TPI available on each). Only the 1/2 has the printing on it. Mine all came with no rust, and I've had them hanging in the garage, and they still have no rust. That rust is definitely concerning for me. I don't recall any bandsaw blade that I've bought that has had any rust. I've also had many hanging in my garage now for a while with no rust developing, so seeing it on those blades new from the vendor would be very concerning for me.

The Diemaster II does make a pretty large kerf. But compared to a Timberwolf blade it will last 4 - 6X longer, unless it breaks of course. Curious, but our experiences are polar opposite. The two Timberwolf blades I tried both broke, though neither at the weld. And we're only taking 12K psi at the most on a 14" Delta. I've never had a Diemaster II break. Weld breaks are your signal to buy from a different source.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Feng View Post
    I just checked my diemaster 2 blades. I have 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 (all .035, lowest TPI available on each). Only the 1/2 has the printing on it. Mine all came with no rust, and I've had them hanging in the garage, and they still have no rust. That rust is definitely concerning for me. I don't recall any bandsaw blade that I've bought that has had any rust. I've also had many hanging in my garage now for a while with no rust developing, so seeing it on those blades new from the vendor would be very concerning for me.
    Thanks for confirming the branding for me Melvin.

Where did you get your blades?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Thanks for confirming the branding for me Melvin.

Where did you get your blades?
    I bought mine through bandsawbladesdirect.com

They had a promotion for 10% off the first order, and since I bought three blades, it was over $100, which qualified for free shipping. It was the best price I could find shipped at the time. I sorta wish I had bought the .025 blades, but I'll just deal with it (I had bought the 1/4" blade to do things like bandsaw boxes, and the .035 is more significant than I originally thought).

My Diemaster II 1/4” blade is still going strong after several years of intermittent use. It’s not stamped either. As far as the rust, some one probably touched it with sweaty hands. No big deal. It’s not like a fine paint job on a new saw.

Dan