Thread: Shop Made Drum Sander plans

Shop Made Drum Sander plans

I was wondering which drum sander plans that you guys have used and would recommend. I want to build on and am currently considering the plans from "Stumpy Nubs." Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong location. I am also not looking for pirated plans, I believe in paying people for their intellectual properties.

Thanks
    Ben
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

I was looking at his too then found this one that is much simpler and would work just fine.
    I ended up ordering a Jet 18-36 but really wanted to build one since I have a motor.
    The only tricky part is the drum and pulley to drive it and there are no plans, just several pictures.

lumberjocks.com/projects/41979
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-27-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Be careful if you plan on using PVC pipe for the drum. I made one to go on my lathe that works well. Not much invested in material since I had scraps on hand. the 4" PVC flexed under too much pressure. I ended up taking some scrap maple, cutting staves and turning a round cylinder on my lathe to make the drum. Sanded it even across and it works great. Straight and ridged. Also if the bed is not supported on both sides, it will flex. I doubled up my bed with 3/4" mdf and put a leveling screw on each side. It's aggravating to have to turn 2 screws but it works. Good luck.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I bet you could fill the PVC up with cement or something to stiffen it up.