Thread: Not Experienced with Blum Slides, Need Advice

Blog Entries

Not Experienced with Blum Slides, Need Advice

From my inexperienced point of view this looks like a good deal for these slides. I would be using 18":

I realize there are a LOT of variations on these slides. I would use them in a buffet / sideboard for my own use. This piece would hold table settings, table cloths, runners in a center group of drawers. Serving dishes and larger items in the outer / larger drawers. This is absolutely NOT the final version but, to give you the idea. Approx. 72" x 21" x about 36" tall.

Sideboard Idea-ver 11.jpg

I absolutely don't want to cheap-out but, these are coming in about half the price of the ones I had been looking at. Also Blum but, full extension.

Friends, Cabinet-makers, Countrymen, . . . am I missing something? Tell me all about it . . .

Extra Credit follow up question. Should I spring for a drilling jig or can a hack like me fumble through it for this and (hopefully) many future drawers?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-25-2020 at 9:43 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blum makes several different kinds of slides. Which one are you thinking about?

Probably their biggest-seller nowadays is the Tandem. It is an undermount slide, which is not visible when you open the drawer. It has a nice feel as you pull it out or push it in. You can get it with soft-close. It is my default slide.

Blog Entries
    Is the image not showing in my post? These are Tandem 7/8 slides with Blumotion. I guess I just question the large difference in price from the full extension.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-26-2020 at 6:02 AM.

– Samuel Butler

I've been using a homemade drilling jig for decades. The first ones I used, I hadn't studied closely enough to see that you needed those holes in the backs of the drawers. I made a jig that day, and have not had any reason to replace it since.

Make a practice drawer out of scrap, for your first one. You are sure to learn something.

I can see your pic of the chest, but not the slide....

IMO, if one is investing all that time in building a nice piece, why fight with less than full extension slides? I just find less than full extension irritating for anything that gets frequent use. I would go with side mount full extension over 3/4 undermounts to save money if necessary.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I think the soft close type is now standard with some adjusting capability which makes an easy to install slide even better. This place had the best prices back when I bought some.
    https://ahturf.com/blum-563h5330b-21...er-slides.html

The OP is talking about the Edge series. Undermount, 7/8 extension, soft-close. From one supplier, 18" slides cost $14.57 vs $24.57 for the Tandem. I've never used them, but I've used hundreds of Tandems.

I can see only three differences from the Tandem series. One is that the Edge series is rated for 75 pounds, and the Tandem is rated for 100 pounds. The second is that the Edge uses the old-style locking devices. The current Tandems can use several different locking devices, which can offer sideways adjustment and in-stop adjustment. The third is that the current Tandem has some slotted holes on the cabinet member.

For the OP's sideboard, I'd say these differences aren't very important.

Blog Entries
    I usually use the 563h slides. A 18" should be about $18 with another few dollars for the 3 way locking device.

Glen,
    Full Extension / Self Closing slides are what I would recommend for your project. I have been using Hettich Quadro for years. They are similar to the Blums but significantly less $ and I have never had a failure or client complaint. No need for a drilling jig, use scrape plywood spacers assuring that both sides are coplanar.
    Just my thoughts - Bill

If you want the ultimate slide for the same price go with Grass Dynapro's and ditch the Blum. Right in line with the dynapros's would be a Salice slide. But the Dynapro's with 3D clips are miles and miles ahead of anything else on the market. If you get a pair and the clips in your hands you'll never look back.

Blum has gotten a goofy hold on the hobby market. A lot of their stuff is klunky yet light plastic (no different for many). Dont get drunk on the Blum orange koolaide.

Order a pair of dynapro's and clips and it will likely be the best money spent.

No jig, make your own or just use a square clamped as needed. They are easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    If you want the ultimate slide for the same price go with Grass Dynapro's and ditch the Blum. Right in line with the dynapros's would be a Salice slide. But the Dynapro's with 3D clips are miles and miles ahead of anything else on the market. If you get a pair and the clips in your hands you'll never look back.

Blum has gotten a goofy hold on the hobby market. A lot of their stuff is klunky yet light plastic (no different for many). Dont get drunk on the Blum orange koolaide.

Order a pair of dynapro's and clips and it will likely be the best money spent.

No jig, make your own or just use a square clamped as needed. They are easy.
    +1 on the Dynapro's. I've been using them lately and they are wonderful. A plus: although you still need to notch the drawer back, you don't need to drill the hole.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. All your responses are helpful as usual. Kudos.

– Samuel Butler