Thread: Tis the Season

Tis the Season

To check on the snowblower. Don't want to be fixing it in cold weather or trying to get a shop to do it while the snow falls.

Tom, seems like I just put it away for the summer. I like to get the snowblower running the same day I put the lawn mower away for the winter.

Snow? What's that? I think we got maybe a total of 8"-10" for the entire season last year with one storm contributing 6" of that. I plowed it with the tractor just to enjoy doing that for the first time with pavement instead of stone.

But yea...folks who use seasonal equipment should be checking it out now while the weather is more pleasant so any issues can be dealt with before there's a real need for the gear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No need for a snow blower here either, now's the time to start making wooden toys for Christmas toy drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    No need for a snow blower here either, now's the time to start making wooden toys for Christmas toy drives.

Already cut out 900 car bodies for Toys For Tot's. As you check out snow blower, be sure and winterize the power washer. Be sure and run some "Pump Saver" thru it. For the novices, Pump Saver is a mixture ( 10/1) of RV antifreeze, and mineral oil. Cheapest way to buy mineral oil is in the drug dept of Walmart. It's sold as a laxative, and yes it's food grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Already cut out 900 car bodies for Toys For Tot's.
    Please tell me you used a CNC or I'm going to feel humbled with my 10 race cars and 6 tugboats (so far)
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Please tell me you used a CNC or I'm going to feel humbled with my 10 race cars and 6 tugboats (so far)
    :

Same 14" Delta band saw I have used for the last twenty years. I'm on my second blade though. I've cut over 10K of these over the years. Simple design. This year TWA furnished the wood. Usually cut a hundred per night (about 1.5 hours.) I can cut them faster than another person can sand, drill, or route edges on them. My #3 grandson once said "I bet you could cut them with your eyes closed."
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 09-26-2020 at 12:58 PM.

I replaced the carburetor on my mom's last weekend.
    Mine will come out of the shed in a couple weeks. I do an oil change and tune up before storing so it should fire right up, but it's good to check.
    We're just starting fall leaf mulching so I've got lawnmower time yet.

Use candle wax and a weed burner to wax the parts that touch snow. It is supposed to prevent clogs. I see many newer snow poles are black now, not orange. Not sure what happened to the idea of burying magnets in the roadside to guide the plows in deep snow. GPS is not near accurate enough for the job.
    Bill D.

When my 3-stage Cub Cadet was only 2 years old, I found I couldn't prime it. I had to remove a ridiculous amount of stuff just to get to the primer tube, which started out as a yellow-ish clear tube. After 2 years of absorbing ethanol vapors from the carb, it had literally turned to glass. The tube looked like a shattered windshield, and when I tried to remove it, it disintegrated in my fingers, just like a shattered windshield. Fortunately a few gas stations around here sell alky-free gasoline. It helps, because these companies that build gas powered yard equipment don't seem to want to be bothered with using alcohol-resistant primers and fuel lines...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The only small engines I run ethanol gas in are my generators. After each use, or monthly test, I shut off fuel line and run carb dry. Fuel is both stabilized, and rotated out every three months. Old fuel goes in truck, and fresh fuel into generators. Do one each month. Each generator has a tag showing date of fresh fuel. This way no generator has fuel over three months old in it. Having electric start is a big PLUS! It's no fun pulling the starter rope on a 10 HP single cylinder engine, especially when it's cold, or raining outside. Batteries are on a maintainer, plus I keep a "jump box" in generator shed "just in case."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Same 14" Delta band saw I have used for the last twenty years. I'm on my second blade though. I've cut over 10K of these over the years. Simple design. This year TWA furnished the wood. Usually cut a hundred per night (about 1.5 hours.) I can cut them faster than another person can sand, drill, or route edges on them. My #3 grandson once said "I bet you could cut them with your eyes closed."
    WOW. and well done. I bet there are thousands of Christmas morning smiles as a result of your efforts. Can you share a few photos in a new thread and maybe inspire a few fellow creekers?