Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: California to ban internal combustion engine cars by 2035

With the old Pontiac Trans Ams...it was the manual that that failed ,not the M42 (turbo 400). But ,yeah ,that was a long
    time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Lots of other things to worry about. Which is half of my point. The other half is the ability for me to perform the repairs myself. I'm sorry, but it does not take a certified Tesla technician to replace plastic lug nut covers (as noted by Rich Rebuilds on YouTube during a recorded call while trying to get a set of them). If I lived in Massachusetts, I would be voting Yes, no question on the Right to Repair article.
    I think you would agree you are in the minority if you are doing your own maintenance on your vehicles today. For most of us that is not an option especially with today's computerized engines. Can't recall if it was my current drive 09 Murano or it's predecessor 95 Pathfinder but I went to change the spark plugs and I couldn't even see the end of the plug much less get a wrench on it. I stick to topping up the washer fluid and changing wiper blades.
    Most studies today show maintenance on EV's is less than ICE vehicles. Overall cost of ownership is better for ICE vehicles for some comparisons while EV's are better in other comparisons. In most cases the EV's are more expensive to buy but cheaper to maintain and run.
    Check the link in my post 67
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 10-08-2020 at 9:41 PM. Reason: added "Check...

I read years ago that gasoline is the same energy pound for pound as dynamite. So every gallon is equal to eight pounds of dynamite.
    Bil lD

. The other half is the ability for me to perform the repairs myself.
    That ship sailed around the turn of this century. The last motor I could reliably service was the GM3800. That went out of production around 2008.

Bad enough you need a suite of proprietary scan tools to figure out what's the culprit - now there's no elbow room. My Audi A8 service manual started most repair guides with, "First - remove the engine."

If I lived in Massachusetts, I would be voting Yes, no question on the Right to Repair article.
    No doubt TESLA agrees, but they're not behind the ballot initiative. That would be
    General Motors, Toyota Motor North America, Inc, Ford Motor Company, American Honda Motor Co., Inc, and Nissan North America. There's HUGE money in forcing owners of older vehicles back into stealerships.

Rhetorical question. Do you think I would be able to get the same cost of ownership from and an all electric powered vehicle as I do from the standard transmission gas powered vehicle?
    Maybe - if you still rack up these kind of miles and don't need to recharge before 250 miles.

You're racking up 100 miles a day - is that right?
    What does gas cost you? What kind of mpg are the cars getting?

We've established that you're way off the bell curve of average drivers.

While the buy in cost for a pure EV is over $30,000, and recharge times are more than twenty minutes (for short haul deliveries) the ROI is still measured in years.

AAA figures most Americans travel 30 miles round-trip in our commutes. If that's in stop and go traffic, EVs break even in about 8 years which isn't a compelling case.

A hybrid might be a more affordable option, but I'm no fan of complex drivetrains.

That said, taxi companies are among the largest institutional buyers of the Prius which is at it's best around town, under 50 mph with frequent stops. Were I looking to test the platform and see what high fuel economy did for my bottom line, that would be my choice.

At $1.80 a gallon, that could still take awhile.

I'm leasing at about $250 per month which is the same as the gas version. At MSRP, the car is overpriced by about $15,000.

Because of EV efficiency, my "fuel" cost is just over half gas prices. Between my cost cap reduction and lower "fuel" cost per mile, I save about $2500 in two years.

Not too shabby. My max daily trip is about 50 miles, above the National average and well within the max claimed by the maker (at 240 miles).

Could I get better ROI driving a base model Honda Fit with 5 speed manual trans? No doubt.

That difference wouldn't cover the cost of a divorce lawyer, so it's a false economy.

(Linked article from 2017 - but still accurate)

https://www.wisebread.com/how-long-d...n-electric-car
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 10-08-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Manual transmissions are far more bullet resistant than automatic transmissions.
    It's easier to destroy a manual transmission than an auto, depending on how you drive it. An automatic is designed to protect the powertrain from the driver, in a sense. Its reliability also depends on who designed the thing, OTOH.

Manual transmissions do fail. Bearings wear out, synchros and gears strip, seals leak, linkages bind, wear causes stuff to slip or go out of alignment, incorrect or leaking fluids cause weird things to happen, etc. Not to mention the issues that come up with clutches and clutch wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    It's easier to destroy a manual transmission than an auto, depending on how you drive it. An automatic is designed to protect the powertrain from the driver, in a sense. Its reliability also depends on who designed the thing, OTOH.

Manual transmissions do fail. Bearings wear out, synchros and gears strip, seals leak, linkages bind, wear causes stuff to slip or go out of alignment, incorrect or leaking fluids cause weird things to happen, etc. Not to mention the issues that come up with clutches and clutch wear.
    If you are stting out to destroy or wreck a transmission, I'm sure they are about equal. If you set out to make both last as long as possible, IMO most standard transmissions will outlast and cost less over their lifetime than an automatic. I have not replaced a single standard transmission or clutch. I have had or replaced several automatic transmissions. I'm sorry. I can get 250k miles with $0 in maintenace on a standard transmission. I have yet to have an automatic transmission make it half that long.
    I did not say standard transmission were bullet proof and never fail. Bearings and the like do wear, in both. But there are far fewer parts in an standard compared to an automatic. Leaking fluids and seals also apply to both (there are many more seals in an automatic than a standard). Clutches are easy to change. I have changed two, both in my parents vehicles. In both cases the 'slippage' was due to a 'well lubricated' clutch as the seal had failed. In both cases the clutch was north of 300K miles. When compared to the new replacement clutch, the old one still had 40-45% life remaining but was so oil impregnated it was ruined. In one case, the auto parts counter attendant asked if we were sure we wanted to turn it in for the core charge with so much life left to it (not noticing it was saturated in oil). So technically I have not had to work on any of the standard transmissions on my vehicles. As for automatics, I do not want to meet the bonehead engineer that decided it was a good idea to move the range sensor to INSIDE the automatic transmission on my truck. As the truck acts as a second vehicle for both my wife and I it must be an automatic as she does not yet know how to drive a standard. Why (on god's green earth) did they move a sensor, something that is sensitive and prone to failure by heat, from the steering column to INSIDE something that GENERATES heat? I don't mean ON, I mean IN. You must remove the pan and some internal parts and then reach IN to remove it.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 10-08-2020 at 10:51 PM.

A lot of trucking companies are switching over to automatic or automated transmissions. A poor driver with a manual transmission can destroy the drivetrain in a heavy truck with a manual transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    A lot of trucking companies are switching over to automatic or automated transmissions. A poor driver with a manual transmission can destroy the drivetrain in a heavy truck with a manual transmission.
    A poor driver can ruin a standard transmission in a light weight car. Back around 2005, the automobile manufacturers were derating the capacity of standard transmission trucks when sold for passenger or personal use versus the same truck with an automatic transmission. If you went to a cab-and-frame dealer and look at the same truck for "commercial" use, the hauling and towing capacities were higher. Same truck, same engine, same transmission, different ratings. Why? The manufacturers (GM and Ford) gave themselves a way to avoid the arguement of warranty service vs poor driving habits with the clutch and/or standard transmission failed. It took me a lot of research to figure out what was going on. I don't know if that same philosophy exists today. I don't know if you can still get them with standard transmissions. Since I'm speaking of trucks used both personal and commercial, 1/2-3/4-1 ton trucks only.

I've been driving vehicles since the mid-1970s. I've never had a single transmission problem with any of them. Only three were manuals. (two VWs and a Datsun) All of our current vehicles actually have CVTs.

For folks who prefer manual transmissions, the choices are getting slim and slimmer. Even those uber-expensive "supercars" use automatics these days. EVs...just use the skinny pedal and the electric motors do the "go" you ask for. "One gear" if you will.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've been driving vehicles since the mid-1970s. I've never had a single transmission problem with any of them. Only three were manuals. (two VWs and a Datsun) All of our current vehicles actually have CVTs.

For folks who prefer manual transmissions, the choices are getting slim and slimmer. Even those uber-expensive "supercars" use automatics these days. EVs...just use the skinny pedal and the electric motors do the "go" you ask for. "One gear" if you will.

Double clutch transmissions are faster. That's why the supercars have them. Well, I think Porsche is letting you buy a manual in a 911 again. My wife's Nissan has a CVT. It's fine. I don't notice too much of a difference between that and the 6 speed auto in my ford.

Manuals are more fun and more engaging to drive, especially in a sports car. Then there are dog-box sequentials.. which would be my favorite track monkey transmission of all times. FWIW, I've had 3 automatic transmission vehicles. All three were trucks, and two were primarily used for towing very heavy (gooseneck trailer) loads. The current truck's an auto because well, you can't get a manual anymore.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    However, if you live in California you won't be able to purchase a petroleum powered vehicle in another state and bring it into California.
    If this only applies to the sale of new vehicles, then I see no reason why a California resident could not purchase a used petroleum powered vehicle in another state and register it in California. There will most certainly be a plethora of loop-holes.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    If this only applies to the sale of new vehicles, then I see no reason why a California resident could not purchase a used petroleum powered vehicle in another state and register it in California. There will most certainly be a plethora of loop-holes.
    The question is would California register it? It would make it a bit hard to move to California.

California won't allow any heavy trucks with engines older than 2010 into the state now, even from other states. This isn't as big an issue now as most long haul semi tractors have been replaced since 2010. I'm sure it cost a lot of smaller businesses a lot of money as they tend to run older equipment. This isn't a registration issue. It is illegal to drive a heavy truck with an engine older than 2010 anywhere in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    If this only applies to the sale of new vehicles, then I see no reason why a California resident could not purchase a used petroleum powered vehicle in another state and register it in California.
    I believe vehicles purchased in other states must pass California emissions testing to be registered in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The question is would California register it? It would make it a bit hard to move to California.
    Leaving aside the heavy truck question, anyone moving to California can bring their car with them and register it here. They just have to show that it was registered in their previous state of residence.
    Here's some info on the question: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/upload...3/ffvr29-1.pdf (first question on second page)
    Whether this will still be true in 15 years is anyone's guess...then again, that's true of federal emission standards as well.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Leaving aside the heavy truck question, anyone moving to California can bring their car with them and register it here. They just have to show that it was registered in their previous state of residence.
    That would make sense, especially for passenger vehicles and light trucks manufactured for a number of years given most vehicle manufacturers use the California standards across the line even for vehicles intended for sale in the rest of the country. Everything I've bought for a very long time automagically came with CA standard emissions support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...