Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: California to ban internal combustion engine cars by 2035

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Have you noticed a trend in FUD like this?

There are appeals to authority, without verification.

There are claims to special knowledge, without citation.

There are anecdotes presented as evidence, without attribution.

How long before the handwriting, "Google is your friend" privatization starts?

Hitchens' razor applies
    One thing for sure, I'm not buying a used car from this guy, ICE or EV.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    One thing for sure, I'm not buying a used car from this guy, ICE or EV.
    Cue the song: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rush/redbarchetta.html (Red Barchetta, by Rush) Or,: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

Oh, reason not the need! (King Lear, Jim. :^)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 11-09-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: It's a great song! Musical interlude, la la la.

How long before the handwriting, "Google is your friend" privatization starts?
    Should read :
    *handwringing*
    *prevarication*

Autocorrect is a choice PITA.

Did you mean to say " autocorrect is a pizza?"

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Did you mean to say " autocorrect is a pizza?"
    I don't need predictive algorithms to help me sound deranged. I can manage that unassisted.

Well I looked and I can't find anyone talking or comparing GHG emissions per fill up between ICE and EV cars. Guess we'll have to rely on what Anthony comes back with. Anyone else come up with anything?

I heard on the radio today that Bentley will make only battery cars by 2035 or so.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-10-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I heard on the radio today that Bentley will make only battery cars by 2035 or so.
    Bill D
    Interesting, Bentley, a British tradition, is now part of the Volkswagen Group who announced their Strategy 2025 four years ago.
    "Volkswagen AG has announced its ‘Strategy 2025′, which focuses on the automaker’s long-term plans to derive profitable growth and, basically, hopes to shake-off the dieselgate scandal. One of the main highlights of Volkswagen’s strategy is its push for electric vehicles, which are quite the rage these days, fueled by growing environmental consciousness and alarming pollution levels. In fact, moving towards more efficiency makes more sense for the company at a time when the emissions scandal looms large. From a brand whose image has been tainted on the back of falsification of emissions data, Volkswagen is now looking to do damage control by being more efficient and “environmentally friendly” than ever before." https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...h=388f7ac05ffc
    So I guess the Bentley announcement is part of that strategy.

I do not really understand the whole Bently Rolls Royce thing. I think VW bought the right to the rolls car designs but has to call them Bently because BMW bought the right to the Rolls Name and grill. So BMW makes cars, in a new factory, that have nothing to do with Rolls Royce except the name and the grill. While VW builds traditional Rolls, in the old RR factory, and calls them Bentley without the fancy grill. By now VW has modernized the designs.
    Bil lD

Here's what Wikipedia says and I agree it is complicated.

"The joining and eventual separation of Bentley and Rolls-Royce followed a series of mergers and acquisitions, beginning with the 1931 purchase by Rolls-Royce of Bentley, then in receivership. In 1971, Rolls-Royce itself was forced into receivership and the UK government nationalised the company—splitting into two companies the aerospace division (Rolls-Royce Plc) and automotive (Rolls-Royce Motors Limited) divisions—the latter retaining the Bentley subdivision. Rolls-Royce Motors was subsequently sold to engineering conglomerate, Vickers and in 1998, Vickers sold Rolls-Royce to Volkswagen AG. Intellectual property rights to both the name Rolls-Royce as well as the company's logo had been retained not by Rolls-Royce Motors, but by aerospace company, Rolls-Royce Plc, which had continued to license both to the automotive division. Thus the sale of "Rolls-Royce" to VW included the Bentley name and logos, vehicle designs, model nameplates, production, and administrative facilities, the Spirit of Ecstasy and Rolls-Royce grille shape trademarks (subsequently sold to BMW by VW)—but not the rights to the Rolls-Royce name or logo. The aerospace company, Rolls-Royce Plc, ultimately sold both to BMW AG."
    Kinda reminds me of ownership cobweb of woodworking tools like Stanley, Dewalt, Black and Decker, Delta Craftsman. Porter Cable etc.

Doug, thanks for that..."vally ingtalesting!"
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dinnit Valley go to grad school with Doctor Missus SWMBO?

Dinnit Valley go to grad school with Doctor Missus SWMBO?
    LOL

It's a line that always comes back to me from...Rowan and Martin's Laugh In...or was it Hogan's Heroes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jim I think your spill chock is broken

Well I guess Anthony had the same success I had finding anyone talking or comparing GHG emissions per fill up between ICE and EV cars. Anyone else come up with anything?