Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: California to ban internal combustion engine cars by 2035

I do not know if the brakes really last that much longer. I thought a Tesla was double the weight of many normal size cars since the battery weighs about one ton and the rest of the car is beefed up to handle the extra weight.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-06-2020 at 5:43 PM.

My nephew has a Tesla 3. Curb weight is around 3500 lbs. Just 500 more than my Toyota Camry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do not know if they really last much longer. I though a Tesla was double the weight of many normal size cars since the battery weighs about one ton and the rest of the car is beefed up to handle the extra weight.
    Bil lD
    The major difference is that an electric vehicle is much simpler than an ICE car, with many less moving parts. Tesla says that there are only 20 moving parts on a Tesla (but I don't know what they count). I don't know if it's accurate but I've heard that there are 10,000 moving parts in an ICE car. One problem the traditional automobile manufacturers have is that a big source of revenue for their dealers is service and the electric vehicles require a lot less service than an ICE car. This causes the traditional automobile dealers to want to avoid the sale of electric vehicles.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I though a Tesla was double the weight of many normal size cars since the battery weighs about one ton and the rest of the car is beefed up to handle the extra weight.
    Depends on what you call "normal size". The heaviest (largest battery) Tesla S is about the same weight (4900lbs) as a gas-engine Lexus LS...the Lexus LS hybrid is actually 200lbs more than the Tesla. The Lexus is slightly larger but not by that much, I used it as an example because I know at least two people who made that exact switch.

The Model 3 is heavier than the similarly-sized Lexus IS, but only by 15% or so.

(Disclaimer: At my age, all current cars sound stupidly heavy. As an example, the current Shelby GT500 Mustang is over 4200lbs...I once owned two cars at the same time that didn't total that.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I though a Tesla was double the weight of many normal size cars since the battery weighs about one ton...
    Um, no. The original 85kwh battery is "only" about 1200lb. I think they're up to a 100kwh pack at this point, but the weight difference should be roughly linear, so roughly 1400lb.

Per my previous post, note that 1400lb is about the same weight as a '60s-vintage Mini.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The original 85kwh battery is "only" about 1200lb. I think they're up to a 100kwh pack at this point, but the weight difference should be roughly linear, so roughly 1400lb.
    They shaved off a few pounds, in the latest go 'round.

The stressed skin design just announced will remove some of the body frame elements, too.

This is the quickest way to more efficiency, without major battery chemistry improvements.

https://insideevs.com/news/338107/wh...pack-so-light/

Just did some back of a napkin math.

At local gas prices (1.80/gallon) averaging 25 mpg that's $7.20 per 100 miles.
    (MPG chosen for simplicity.)

My electric supply costs $.2273 per kwh.
    The battery holds 64 kw ~ $15 to fully charge.

Nominal max range is 240 miles.

$15/240 = $.06/mile $6.25 per 100 miles. Good, but not great. A Honda fit would be cheaper to operate on regular gas. It would be far less expensive to buy (or lease) than a new EV.

Today, at the ideal temperature for battery efficiency $15/310 = $.05/mile $4.70 per 100 miles.
    That's just over half what my theoretical gas consumption would be.

I doubt things will be this cheap below freezing.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 10-06-2020 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My friend, who owns a Tesla Model 3, tells me that it's all in the accelerator. That is, when you let up on the accelerator, the car starts to regen (brake). So you have to learn how to feather the accelerator. I asked him how long it took him to learn to drive that way and he said it was no problem. He learned quickly. I suppose it's like when you had to learn how to drive a stick shift. Just took some practice and then it became second nature.
    The Jake brake in my motorhome works this way. If the Jake brake is turned on it automatically engages as soo as you let off the pedal.

I would be likely to consider an electric car if they had an electric mini-van, and it was reasonably affordable. Chrysler has a plug-in hybrid Pacifica, but not real affordable at $40,000. (I paid $20,000 new for my 2016 Dodge Caravan.)

Being an external combustion engine, a coal fired steam engine is acceptable?

California will eventually look like the streets of Havana, with 50 year old oil burners being the norm.

Hybrids offer long range, but are more complicated than either traditional gasoline motors or purely electric vehicles. In total cost of ownership, the premium paid for an EV is more than offset by lower maintenance and "fuel" costs.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34494/...nds-of-dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I would be likely to consider an electric car if they had an electric mini-van, and it was reasonably affordable. Chrysler has a plug-in hybrid Pacifica, but not real affordable at $40,000. (I paid $20,000 new for my 2016 Dodge Caravan.)
    Have you considered total cost of ownership over five years or just initial purchase cost? Check out these two links to Edmunds analysis, it's closer than you might think.
    https://www.edmunds.com/chrysler/pac...9/cost-to-own/
    https://www.edmunds.com/dodge/grand-...9/cost-to-own/

Ford Escape plug in hybred. I think it is 20 -40 mile range on battery
    Bil lD

Ford Escape plug in hybred. I think it is 20 -40 mile range on battery
    Bil lD
    Yes, Car and Driver reports it is 37 miles and the MPGe (miles per gallon gasoline equivalent) is rated at 100, sounds pretty efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Have you considered total cost of ownership over five years or just initial purchase cost? Check out these two links to Edmunds analysis, it's closer than you might think.
    https://www.edmunds.com/chrysler/pac...9/cost-to-own/
    https://www.edmunds.com/dodge/grand-...9/cost-to-own/
    I don't really understand their chart. It appears they are using a $30,000 cost to buy a Grand Caravan SE when I paid about $22,000 with taxes and fees. I would have to save at least $200 a month by owing the Pacifica plug-in for me to break even. I averaged about $105 a month on gasoline over the past 12 months. I could probably make at least half of my trips on electricity only, but that doesn't save me more than $50 a month.