Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: California to ban internal combustion engine cars by 2035

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    At the price of non-internal combustion cars, there's going to be a great many pedestrians out there.
    My car costs me $250 per month, and I could buy it outright for $25,000.

At $ .22 per KWH each mile costs me about $ .05.

At $ 2.00 per gallon, each mile costs about $.08.

15,000 miles at $.05 = $750 for a year

15,000 miles at $.08 = $1200 for a year.

That doesn't include oil changes, belts, etc.

It's not out of reach, today and prices are coming down. https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/22/2...v-cost-tabless

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Half of the house (where we typically sleep and work at night) is in the part of the house that wouldn't be covered by the Powerwalls.
    Ok, I'll bite: why would you deliberately do something that, um, non-optimal?
    (I'm trying hard to be polite here, but it's just not working...)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

At the price of non-internal combustion cars, there's going to be a great many pedestrians out there.
    Oh dear lord. Again, if this were happening today, that might be a problem. (Or not.) But it isn't, so try thinking in terms of fifteen years from now.

This isn't fifty years ago, when a typical 15-year-old car was a smoking rust-bucket. Hint: a rather large number of IC cars from 2020 will still be running in 2035, not to mention the ones from 2034, 2033, 2032...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Sounds like win win, less CO2 emissions, cleaner air and a more fit population.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

It's not out of reach, today and prices are coming down. https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/22/2...v-cost-tabless
    I posted this earlier (post 67) there are already some cases where lifetime cost of electric vehicles is cheaper than comparable ICE vehicles.
    https://www.corporateknights.com/cha...about%20equal.

or better, more convenient public transportation.

They're not trying to sell electric vehicles to you or me, they're selling it to our grandkids. I wish I still had my '70s era 11 mpg 350 V8 Camaro, but its just not that important to the young folks I know these days.

Energy prices, gasoline or electricity, are too unstable to project current low rates into the future for very long. The oil & gas companies are betting heavily on alternative energy by investing in it (so they can control it too) so they must think its the future too.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-27-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Ok, I'll bite: why would you deliberately do something that, um, non-optimal?
    (I'm trying hard to be polite here, but it's just not working...)
    Let me try to help you:

“Dear Mr. Lighthouse: What prevents you from using the Powerwall in the part of the house you spend most of your time in?”

Or if you just have to be rude to somebody, you could add the following:

“You obviously are not a [insert insulting language of your choice here] since you already own a solar array and an electric vehicle, so I would like to put my vast experience and passion for solar energy to work helping you solve your problem.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

But your state is only the size of a county in the west.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Let me try to help you:

“Dear Mr. Lighthouse: What prevents you from using the Powerwall in the part of the house you spend most of your time in?”
    Or better yet, "Dear Mr. Lighthouse: Why would you use the assumption that you cannot use the Powerwall in the part of the house you spend most of your time in, unless it's solely for the purpose of supporting your decision not to buy one?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Or if you just have to be rude to somebody...
    If I'd really wanted to be rude, I would have. Trust me on this.

I think it is a valid question and there may be a valid answer why he wouldn't connect the part of the house used most at night to the power wall. No need to be rude, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bil lD
    Certainly there are outliers in any sample. Oddly enough, people living in larger States appear to drive LESS than the National average.

https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...-by-state.aspx

To get a feel for average daily drives, divide each by 300.
    https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Oh great, now I've got this mental image of someone commuting from Needles to Chino in a Tesla.

That's pretty much corner-to-corner in the largest county in the lower 48..."only" about 225 miles.

so today Harley Davidson announced their new electric bicycle. Its pretty cool looking. I guess they're on board with this too.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-27-2020 at 9:20 PM.

Polaris bought a Swedish electric truck maker several years ago. I am still waiting for the electric snow mobile or quad.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    so today Harley Davidson announced their new electric bicycle. Its pretty cool looking. I guess they're on boards with this too.
    "Serial 1"

Shut up and take my money!