Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: California to ban internal combustion engine cars by 2035

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Well I guess Anthony had the same success I had finding anyone talking or comparing GHG emissions per fill up between ICE and EV cars. Anyone else come up with anything?
    Facts?
    Figures?
    Flesh for fantasy?

(You weren't holding your breath, were ye?)

Long story shortest, gas burners aren't getting cleaner while electron burners get greener.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factchec...climate-change

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Facts?
    Figures?
    Flesh for fantasy?

(You weren't holding your breath, were ye?)

Long story shortest, gas burners aren't getting cleaner while electron burners get greener.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factchec...climate-change
    Very comprehensive article and no mention of GHG emissions per fill up, guess that settles it, I can stop holding my breath.
    Seriously though, shows how complicated the comparison between life cycle CO2 emissions is but makes it pretty clear EVs win out in all but a few rare cases which will go away as the grid becomes greener.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Very comprehensive article and no mention of GHG emissions per fill up, guess that settles it, I can stop holding my breath.
    I find that when a point of argument hinges on an invented metric (without any way to verify it), it's bunk.

See: Hitchens' razor

A large power plant can have all kinds of pollution controls that are just not feasible for individual ICE vehicles.

One issue with solar they are seeing in some states is having too much power during peak solar production. Hawaii has had to stop solar customers from exporting to the grid as the transformers and wires in neighborhoods were getting overloaded due to power coming from all the solar during peak times. We need a way to save that power for overnight use. During non-COVID times most electric cars are not charged during the day when solar is producing.

Decades ago in Califorina they wanted to force gas stations to install larger fume tanks to capture the gas fumes as tanks were filled. Then vapor would be sent into the fuel truck as they emptied gasoline into the storage tanks. The station owners lobbied hard not to spend the money and instead cars had to have a small fume tank that costs much more per vehicle and is way to small to do much good.
    With millions of dollars uber/lyft/ doordash lobbied hard and got a proposition passed that their drivers are not employees. They are independent contractors so no need for the company to provide health insurance or do background checks. They claimed in court they are not responsible for the independent drivers who raped a passenger or the one who killed his fare.
    Bill D