Thread: Emptying the dust bin - Dust Cobra

Emptying the dust bin - Dust Cobra

My Oneida Dust Cobra is installed in the basement outside the shop. This works out great except when it's time to empty the 17 gallon bin. But it's workable with a couple of adaptations. Here's the bin.

DC Drum.jpg

It's on a piece of foam to protect it from any water that might get on the floor and so it won't get scratched (which could lead to rust) and to keep the floor clean.

You can see the vacuum hose which sucks the air from between the drum and the bag (inflates the bag).

Unfortunately the collector must be lifted to empty the drum, so I made this rig. Lift, hook chain shorter, slide drum out. The PVC is flexible enough to allow a few inches of lift.

DC Lift h.jpg

Since the dust is in a bag it is possible to close it, pull it and take it outside and dump into a leaf collection bag without making a mess in the house.

I didn't like the effectiveness of the bag inflater so now I pre-form it like this. A little clunky but workable. I'll likely make a better adapter.

DC Bag Forming.jpg

Here's how it looks inside the shop.

DC Hose h.jpg

That's a 2" id x 25' hose hanging on a flower pot (tree pot actually) and you can see the remote there too. It reaches all the machines in my shop. It's more than a shop vac but still comes up a little short on volume so a respirator is still needed sometimes.

The hose can be moved to other connection points for use as a central vac in the basement.

That's a good accommodation to get the job done!

That said...17 gallon drum. I'd be emptying that every few minutes! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good ideas, especially on the bag. Could you mount the motor/blower/cyclone to the wall? That is how I did my DC which allows me to take out 4 bolts and wheel the collection box out. Your bag would be a lot easier than dumping my 70 gallon box out of a 1 foot hole in the top.

I offer another way to handle the dust, using a 55 gallon barrel on rollers. I switch to the green barrel when I'm planing wood that can be used for animal bedding. When I start a new bag, I use a sheet of PVC (bought at Ace Hardware) stuffed in the bag to prevent it from getting sucked out of the barrel, pulling it out after there's enough sawdust to hold down the bag. The only difficulty I've found is pulling out the bag, because of suction. I need to lay the barrel on its side to pull it out.

IMG_5744.jpg

Mike,
    I’ve been looking for a way to use a bag in my 55 gallon drum. I’ve seen fencing used and wood dowels and custom made metal rings. What exactly is the PVC sheet you got at ace?

It's called the Easy Bagger for $14, made to hold a trash bags freestanding. If I were to buy one again, I'd see if a larger one existed, because, after filling four bags this way one bag was pulled over the edge of the barrel, starting a pile of sawdust outside the bag. If it happens again, I'll clamp the lid shut; but, I think I just left too much loose bag in the bottom.

Thanks for the info Mike. I love the idea of the Easy Bagger, but it doesn’t look like it’s big enough as you mention. Oneida sells a nice one but it’s $60! I’ve been looking for a cheaper one but can’t find anything.

Blog Entries
    Let me make sure I understand...

I have a Super Dust Deputy XL that sits above a 30 gallon drum.

I *think* if I were to put a bag in the drum (without anything else to mitigate) the bag would get sucked up through the SDD towards the impeller etc.

So, I *think* the solution that's in practice here is to hold the bag in place (in this case with the easy bagger) so that this won't occur. Eventually, the bag will have enough sawdust in it to mitigate on it's own, but the easy bagger helps until then.

Do I have it right?

(if yes, this is great and I will be implementing right away.. thank you!)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

If you put a bag in the drum without support, it gets sucked up by the impeller. I use the Easy Bagger to prevent this problem. The easy bagger, as Matt suggests, isn't big enough to work perfectly in a 55 gallon barrel. I have a heavy lid on my barrel; but, the bag did get sucked up a little bit once (nothing dangerous, just messy). If it happens again, I'll get a lock for the lid.

By the way, pull out the EasyBagger before it gets too full so the bag fills up correctly.

Matt: I found KwicKan at Home Depot for $20. I didn't check if it's bigger.

Mike, I saw that too but it’s the same deal. For collecting leaves and such, a flat side helps when putting it on the ground to rake leaves into. It doesn’t help us as we want a fully round one.