Thread: Removable fasteners for picket?

Removable fasteners for picket?

I was originally looking to have a hidden hinge system for a porch skirt access panel. Cost became prohibitive, so I’ve decided to ditch that idea and just make an entire panel that removes when/if needed.

To secure the panel in, I was thinking that Cane Bolts would be a good option, or a spring-loaded bolt of some sort.

I’d rather keep the bolts securing the whole panel hidden, so my thought is to make a couple of pickets that I can pop off real quick to access the bolts.

I’m curious how any of you would achieve this goal? Perhaps there’s an (inexpensive) piece of hardware that I was unaware of? Or maybe an easy-to-make bracket that would suffice?

Things I’ve considered are Magnets or Velcro, but I’m not sure how they’d stand up to the elements.

I know you’re all far more creative than I am! I appreciate your help!

Deckmate screws with "star drive" (actually TORX) heads are easy to put in, and take out, even years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Deckmate screws with "star drive" (actually TORX) heads are easy to put in, and take out, even years later.
    I agree...I'd just use quality screws and keep things simple unless you intend on very frequent access. For that, I'd want a simple lift-off setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How 'bout bed rail fasteners? They're the hook thing that connects a bed rail to the headboard and footboard. Google to find examples. The bed rail just drops in place, and holds securely without tools. In your porch application, you'd put the panel roughly in place, then slide it down to connect the panel to the house. Removal is the reverse. The hardware is all on the back side of the panel, so it is invisible from the street.

French cleats. Any concerns about high winds blowing it off? easier then a french cleat is to drive a screw top and bottom down from the front of the picket at a steep angle. Remove the screw and pound a finish nail into the framing leaving about 5/8 inch proud of the framing. Enlarge the screw holes in the picket with a drill bit a little larger then the finish nail. You could plug the holes on the outside of the picket if desired.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-25-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Magnets. No tools. You can get them in varying pull force, from needing a strong tug, to needing a crowbar.

That is how we did christmas tree lights last year on my son’s 2 story house. Attached the lights to a trim colored ledger board, attached magnets to the back of the ledger board, lifted in place with 24’ Mr. Longarm paint sticks.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I'm with Tom and Jim. If you do something clever and obscure, it may not be obvious enough to the guy trying to get it off next time. What if you are not the next guy to work on it, and it ends up being needlessly damaged in disassembly because they didn't know how you put it together? Torx head screws are subtle enough and I've yet to meet a carpenter that can't figure one out.